Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does making playlist iTunes delete songs from library?

When making playlists, using CDs ripped into my iTunes library, I get this box that stops me. Why would I delete my tracks to make a playlist?e a playlist?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 4:17 PM

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support. The iCloud Music Library, which will be shared between any computers and devices where you have it enabled, is not able to include certain ineligible content. If you try to add any such item that is in your library to a cloud eligible playlist it will make that playlist ineligible for the cloud, and it will be removed from the iCloud Music Library. The playlist and songs themselves remain in the local library in either case.

tt2

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 4:17 PM in response to tlfmd

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support. The iCloud Music Library, which will be shared between any computers and devices where you have it enabled, is not able to include certain ineligible content. If you try to add any such item that is in your library to a cloud eligible playlist it will make that playlist ineligible for the cloud, and it will be removed from the iCloud Music Library. The playlist and songs themselves remain in the local library in either case.

tt2

Jan 6, 2022 11:59 AM in response to tlfmd

When you sign into your Apple ID on any computer or device you get access to your unhidden purchase history in the cloud. If you have iTunes Match or Apple Music you also get access to your iCloud Music Library which can include additional songs that have been matched or uploaded from a computer or device, or in the case of Apple Music, other songs from the iTunes catalogue that you choose to add to your library. This library can be shared across up to ten computers and devices, all of which will have access to the same collection of tracks and playlists. A change made in one location should be reflected in another via the cloud. If you have Sync Library or iCloud Music Library enabled on a computer then you will see the entire iCloud Music Library, along with any ineligible content in the local library or any other content that hasn't been added to the cloud library. By definition this content will only be stored locally on that computer.

I referred you to Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support earlier so that you can check on the status of tracks in your library. The notification you posted earlier states that the playlist Christmas will be removed from the iCloud Music Library if you proceed, but you haven't told us anything about the song or songs you were trying to add to it at the time. Removing a playlist doesn't of itself remove any tracks from the library. I don't know it the playlist already contains some items. The only thing I can tell from here is that one of the tracks you were trying to add is in your local library and ineligible for iCloud Music Library, otherwise you wouldn't have got that warning message. Closely inspect the tracks you were planning to add to see if you can work out which was causing the issue and why. One possible cause might be a locally stored track bought with a different Apple ID.

tt2

Jan 5, 2022 5:44 PM in response to tlfmd

All my songs except recent Taylor Swift are CD ripped. I do not understand why my tracks would be removed from the library. Since all my CD sourced tracks are cloud-marked, I find it a miserable threat.

I do not buy from Apple Music since my experience was a garbled series of tracks. I bought the related CD and am happy.

Please explain why they would be REMOVED, not just copied or filed for a quick playlist.

Jan 6, 2022 1:51 AM in response to tlfmd

Again, nothing will be removed from your local library. The message tells you that the specific playlist (not the tracks that comprise it) will be removed from the iCloud Music Library if you add the particular track to the list. What is the iCloud status of the track that you're trying to add? Perhaps the track hasn't been successfully matched or uploaded.

tt2

why does making playlist iTunes delete songs from library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.