Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: Setting default number for text messages

(Same question as in 2013, title “Setting default number for text messages”)

My iPhone does not choose a contact’s mobile number for texts. Instead it sends the text to another number in the contact’s list and I get an error. The contact has a mobile number listed, and it is first in the list. There is only one mobile number in this contact. I don’t have this trouble with other contacts on the phone.

I am surprised texting is using the wrong number in the first place, and there is no setting to override it.

I prefer fixing this situation than to create a new contact for this person.

Iphone 7s, iOS 13.3.1.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:23 PM

Db-Bennett wrote:

Iphone 7s, iOS 13.3.1.
  • Apple never created a product named iPhone 7S.
  • iOS 13.3.1, released in January, 2020, is not only not current, but was not even the latest version of iOS 13.

there is no setting to override it.

That is incorrect. Consider this contact, with a work landline and a mobile line.

When setting up a text to send:

I may tap the symbol shown and choose the other number as an option.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 2:23 PM in response to Db-Bennett

Db-Bennett wrote:

Iphone 7s, iOS 13.3.1.
  • Apple never created a product named iPhone 7S.
  • iOS 13.3.1, released in January, 2020, is not only not current, but was not even the latest version of iOS 13.

there is no setting to override it.

That is incorrect. Consider this contact, with a work landline and a mobile line.

When setting up a text to send:

I may tap the symbol shown and choose the other number as an option.

Re: Setting default number for text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.