Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One playlist was removed from iphone & ipad

I have iTunes Match and synced my playlists on Macbook Pro (OS 12.1), iPhone, iPad & Apple TV. After I added a couple of songs to a playlist on my Macbook Pro, the playlist was removed from the iPhone, iPad and AppleTV. I've tried several things but I'm at a loss. I did add these songs after I installed OS 12.1 so it makes me wonder if there's a bug in this OS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 6:20 PM

I figured out what happened. I created a test playlist and added the songs from the affected playlist one at a time. As I did this on my Macbook Pro, I observed the test playlist on my iPhone in real time. When I added 'Thriller', the test playlist on my iPhone was immediately removed. That song was on my hard drive but not showing on iCloud. I discovered that there was more than one version of the song saved on my hard drive as Thriller 1 and Thriller 2. I deleted one of them and renamed as Thriller. Then I double clicked to play it on Music. I then added the song to my test playlist again and everything was working as expected.

This seems like a bug to me because the playlist should not be removed from my iPhone and iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2022 6:20 PM in response to donmilo

I figured out what happened. I created a test playlist and added the songs from the affected playlist one at a time. As I did this on my Macbook Pro, I observed the test playlist on my iPhone in real time. When I added 'Thriller', the test playlist on my iPhone was immediately removed. That song was on my hard drive but not showing on iCloud. I discovered that there was more than one version of the song saved on my hard drive as Thriller 1 and Thriller 2. I deleted one of them and renamed as Thriller. Then I double clicked to play it on Music. I then added the song to my test playlist again and everything was working as expected.

This seems like a bug to me because the playlist should not be removed from my iPhone and iPad.

Jan 4, 2022 6:03 PM in response to donmilo

Hi donmilo, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that a playlist has been removed on your iPhone and iPad.

We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you. Do you still have that playlist on your MacBook Pro?

If yes, we recommend that you make sure that your iPhone and iPad are up to date.

While it isn't inherently assured that an update will resolve the issue, updating to the latest version of iOS and iPadOS can help isolate potential software issues. 

Kindly secure a backup and update.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the devices are already up to date and the issue persists, we recommend that you reach out to us here so we can take a closer look into the issue: Get Support

Take care!

One playlist was removed from iphone & ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.