Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine

how to back up time machine to external hard drive

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 8:38 AM

Please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

NOTE:

1. The EHD you use must be formatted to APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If your EHD is not, please use Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) to format the EHD, you can find lots of youtube videos that show how this is done.
  2. ALSO, NEVER EVER share a Time Machine EHD to store data and to also use for Time Machine, the EHD should be dedicated to TM only!!!
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2022 8:38 AM in response to glenna69

Please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

NOTE:

1. The EHD you use must be formatted to APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If your EHD is not, please use Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) to format the EHD, you can find lots of youtube videos that show how this is done.
  2. ALSO, NEVER EVER share a Time Machine EHD to store data and to also use for Time Machine, the EHD should be dedicated to TM only!!!

Jan 4, 2022 1:23 PM in response to glenna69

Well, I did the Safe Mode startup and then was able to get safari to upload. I then uploaded the Etrecheck.com program and ran a test on App not working..To my surprise, I had an Adware program running called Premier Opinion. It showed me how to delete it..I rebooted and its been about 15 minutes and Safari is still running great.....

Thank you so much, I have been fighting this since before Christmas...Thanks-again rkaufman87.’’’

Jan 4, 2022 11:29 AM in response to glenna69

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Jan 4, 2022 9:15 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks. The reason is my Safari will not connect or stay connected. I have internet and email works fine. Apple tried several solutions but none worked. They said-to purchase an EHD and then wipe mac clean and then restore OS. My only question now is without Safari working will I be able to restore the Operating System?

Thanks

Jan 4, 2022 11:45 AM in response to glenna69

Please boot into Safe Mode and see if you can download another browser. If you cannot get another browser then you will need to boot into the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup) and reinstall Mac OS . This type of installation should not wipe out your data however it is always wise to have a backup in advance in the event you have a problem.

time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.