Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac headset jack/internal speakers

I need to  leave my headset plugged in at all  times because of constant Zoom calls ..... but there are times that I also need the internal speakers to work.

Is there a way to have the internal speakers still work even if a headset is plugged into the 3.5mm jack?

And if not, is there a usb device that I could use for the headset/mic without having to go into the 3.5mm jack. Concerned that multiple headset plug ins and plug outs will cause the jack to eventually fail. And the timing of that event will, no doubt, be in accord with Murphy's Law...

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 10:17 AM

There is a micro switch inside of the audio out port (headphone jack) that switches the audio to the external port. So basically if and when something is plugged into the audio out port, then that is where the audio output defaults to.

Yes on most iMac models, an inexpensive USB to 3.5mm audio adapter will allow you to select between the internal and external outputs, from either the drop down Sound icon or in the Sound preference.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 10:17 AM in response to 1Brandster

There is a micro switch inside of the audio out port (headphone jack) that switches the audio to the external port. So basically if and when something is plugged into the audio out port, then that is where the audio output defaults to.

Yes on most iMac models, an inexpensive USB to 3.5mm audio adapter will allow you to select between the internal and external outputs, from either the drop down Sound icon or in the Sound preference.

iMac headset jack/internal speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.