Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cache folder always empty except for 3 folders

my cache folder seems to always be empty except for 3 folders whose components always remain the same. there is the ColorSync folder, com.apple.cloudkit folder and the com.apple.iconservices.store folder. is this normal? my Macbook version is macOS Catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 8:48 AM

lalremruati289 wrote:

well I'm clearly not a computer wiz. but when I looked up on how to clear my cache on my Mac, all the results asked me to go to ~/Library/Caches/ and when I did, those are the only 3 folders that are always there. It was never like this before. That's why I would like to know if this is normal...

Clear system cache files by a Safeboot— https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, can do a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Reboot  as normal.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2022 8:48 AM in response to lalremruati289

lalremruati289 wrote:

well I'm clearly not a computer wiz. but when I looked up on how to clear my cache on my Mac, all the results asked me to go to ~/Library/Caches/ and when I did, those are the only 3 folders that are always there. It was never like this before. That's why I would like to know if this is normal...

Clear system cache files by a Safeboot— https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, can do a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc. 

Reboot  as normal.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Jan 6, 2022 8:11 AM in response to lalremruati289

lalremruati289 wrote:

my cache folder seems to always be empty except for 3 folders whose components always remain the same. there is the ColorSync folder, com.apple.cloudkit folder and the com.apple.iconservices.store folder. is this normal? my Macbook version is macOS Catalina 10.15.7

And how is this an issue day to day?

There are many different system cache folders...

Cache folder always empty except for 3 folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.