Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MagSafe is not charging my iPhone SE 2020

Has anyone else had trouble with the MagSafe not charging iPhone SE 2020? Reduced charging would be understandable or some other compromise but the fact is that the phone is just being charged at all. In fact, it seems to lose charge a little faster.

We have switched between two iPhone SEs, two MagSafes, two plug adapters, different plugs around the house, and without cases. When the iPhone is placed on the MagSafe the notifying 'Ding' is heard and all looks well. That lasts, at most, about one minute. No sign of charging after that and the battery level will actually drop a couple of percent within four or five minutes.

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 2:54 PM

8 replies

Jan 6, 2022 3:05 PM in response to MacLivy

This iPhone SE model makes no mention of MagSafe compatibility in its tech specs.

iPhone SE (2nd generation) - Technical Specifications

By contrast, the iPhone 12 spec, for example, does mention MagSafe.

iPhone 12 - Technical Specifications

Further, as the article linked above your post specifies, MagSafe is for iPhone 12 and later. The iPhone SE (2020) fails to meet this specification.

Jan 7, 2022 1:00 PM in response to sberman

If it was the same link then surely you saw the Compatibility drop-down.

I spoke to support on a call, describing the experiments with different SE 2020s and different Apple USB-C power adapters. The tech felt the MagSafe could be at fault and sent me another. I repeated the experiments again with the same results.

I went to my Apple Store today, spoke with them, and did a return. I do not feel the urge to continue the analysis. So,…

End of story

Jan 7, 2022 12:42 PM in response to MacLivy

I believe you provided the same link to me that I provided to you - just using different terms in blue to describe the identical website. So I suppose that means you do in fact own that specific Apple product and it’s failing to charge your iPhone SE.

If you would be willing to demonstrate the problem at an Apple Store, they should be able to assist.

Jan 7, 2022 1:10 PM in response to MacLivy

Surely you purchased the MagSafe charger primarily to support a MagSafe-capable iPhone (iPhone 12 or later). So you’ve chosen to give that up. I’ve assumed all along the iPhone SE (2020), having no MagSafe capability, is not the primary reason you have this MagSafe charger.

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy your Apple gear.

Jan 7, 2022 1:19 PM in response to sberman

Actually it was for the SE. My wife is legally blind and usually doesn’t have the use of both hands (with which to plug the adapter into the phone, or see the cord). The idea was to give her something she could do with one hand, and retrieve with one hand, and just make it less of a chore.

Thanks for your attentiveness.

MagSafe is not charging my iPhone SE 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.