Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt port doesn't work in iMac Pro

after have installed TG pro in my iMac pro all thunderbolt ports don't work.

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 3:05 PM

8 replies

Jan 6, 2022 3:13 PM in response to AJPRT19

I will here assume you did not reduce the cooling and did not throttle the fan speeds at any time.

Remove the app per the vendor’s instructions.

Reset the SMC and NVRAM, then boot into Safe Mode, and try again. (This should clear most saved state.)

Do try a different Thunderbolt cable—unlikely to be the problem, but an easy fix.

If that all fails, use the Get Support link in the upper right of this webpage, and check with Apple.

Jan 7, 2022 9:50 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for the information but nothing has resulted. Anyway, after had been done all the resets and came back to normal mode ,I plugged again the thunderbolt /Usb4 into the computer port without any device connected and the following message appeared:

USB accessories disabled - unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices.

As I referred I plugged only the cable without any device connected. The cable is ok. I used it to charge my iphone from my MacBook pro.

Jan 8, 2022 7:23 AM in response to AJPRT19

A charging cable is a USB cable, and not Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt doesn’t work with a non-Thunderbolt cable.

If you inserted a non-Thunderbolt USB charging cable into a USB-C Thunderbolt port on a Mac, you will have gotten USB 3.0 connection, and not Thunderbolt. Most Apple Mac USB-C ports are multi-protocol; USB 3.x, Thunderbolt, and USB PD power delivery.

A charging cable will not damage a USB-C connection.

Confusingly, USB-C is a connector spec. Not a protocol spec. Different USB-C sockets can support different protocols. USB-A connectors had USB protocol connections (USB 1.1, 2.0, 3.x), and low (2.5W, 5W, 10W, or 12W) power.

Adding to the confusion here, a USB-C Thunderbolt cable can pass both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

If you’ve gone through the previously suggested hardware resets, and are now using a Thunderbolt cable to connect to Thunderbolt, contact Apple.

Thunderbolt port doesn't work in iMac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.