Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facetime join button in message thread

sometimes, after i’ve gotten off of facetime with someone, i’ll go to the message thread and, instead of the facetime button being there, it says ‘join.’ it’ll make the sound as if the facetime had been answered, however no one is there. no matter how many times i kill the facetime and messages app, the join button is still there and the problem persists. what’s up with this? it’s annoying cause i can’t call the person until that button goes away.

iPhone 13

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 5:03 AM

It’s my understanding that this means the other person is in an active ft call…I called apple and shared my screen to let them see. And that’s what she told me…Just like it’ll tell you when somebody puts their phone on disturb it tells us when another person is in a ft call. Stay woke.

Similar questions

55 replies

Jan 7, 2022 11:26 PM in response to bryanr14

genuinely, thanks for the suggestion! sadly, i can’t delete the facetime app and, if i restarted my phone every time this happened, my phone would probably never be on. no matter how many times i kill the messages app, i still see this until the person calls back.

i’d also like to note that i mostly see this if i’m otp and the person on the other end phone dies. this is especially annoying because this person’s phone is dead… how tf am i supposed to join a nonexistent call? the issue isn’t resolved until the other person calls back and we properly hang up.

Jan 7, 2022 5:17 PM in response to kaygl1zzy

Hello kaygl1zzy,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're not immediately seeing the icon for FaceTime in the Messages app with your contacts. We'll be happy to help.

To help troubleshoot this behavior, we recommend to follow the steps outlined in this helpful article: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open. These additional steps can help resolve the issue you're experiencing with FaceTime.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Kind regards.

Mar 25, 2022 1:52 AM in response to bryanr14

this also happens to me all the time with the one person i ft everyday. they facetime me, i don’t get the call notification and they text me asking why aren’t i picking up. i click the “join” button that’s green on our i message and it “joins” a already active facetime call w nobody in the other side and it looks like a group facetime icon w just me and them. but they’re not actually on the call. we have to call eachother and then press facetime from the call to actually connect. pls fix this is so annoying

Feb 18, 2022 5:23 AM in response to kaygl1zzy

Oh my goodness!! Same here.. I truly don’t get it and it seems to happen to only one of my contacts and we never are in Group FaceTime or group message so I thought maybe someone else was on the FaceTime with us but without telling me lol I know I get paranoid but I’ll click it and then it says the contact and then says waiting for the other person to join ..I think , something like that.

Feb 24, 2022 7:28 AM in response to Klosta0330

It was to my understanding if there is a join icon at the top right of the phone instead of the usual FaceTime icon there were other people in the group on the call. Similar to a Group FaceTime meeting. However I hope this is not the case because that just wrong I’d it is. Apple should make it possible to see all parties involved in the call before answering.

Jan 9, 2022 10:58 AM in response to kaygl1zzy

kaygl1zzy,

Thanks for getting back to us and for providing that update. Just to be sure, is your iPhone updated to iOS 15.2? This can help provide software improvements that can help.

If your device is updated to the latest software version, then we suggest to contact Apple Support to review this further. You can contact them through this link here: Get Support

Best regards.

Mar 24, 2022 3:29 AM in response to kaygl1zzy

i was/ am having the same issue! the quickest way i know to resolve is if if whoever’s messages has the Join option needs to click the ft call, the person on the other end needs to decline that call then repeat. the person who can see join has to call the other person again and the receiver has to decline the call and repeat until the ft icon pops back up.

facetime join button in message thread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.