Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud+ and External hard drive WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra with GoodSync

macOS Monterey

ver. 12.1

MacBook Pro 2015 (Mid 2015)

I have been backing up my data (documents, desktop, photos etc.) on external storage device WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra with GoodSyn. In late 2021 I purchase Apple iCloud+ and now my documents, desktop, photos etc. is being stored in iCloud. I know using iCloud+ is not a backup that is why I have an external backup drive.

My issue is when I signed up for iCloud+, I must have setup iCloud+ where now my data (documents, desktop, photos, etc.) is not available to my external device for backup.

Is there a tutorial available that can give me setup directions where I can utilize both iCloud+ and an external storage device? Or can someone give me some directions where I can use both iCloud+ and backup to my External storage device?

When I look under Finder I see documents and desktop under iCloud which use to be under Favorites. There is no way for my external storage device to connect to the data with it being under iCloud.

I'm at a loss figuring how to get these two to work, for what I'm trying to accomplish.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 8:14 AM

Data in iCloud+ may be offloaded to iCloud only if space is needed if you elected to optimize storage on the Mac at System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud. Otherwise, all documents remain on your computer and just sync with iCloud. If you're backing up your complete system, the files will still backup. If you're backing up selected directories, you'll need to navigate to the folder location containing your iCloud documents. It should be ~Library/Mobile Documents/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 8:14 AM in response to ralee2511

Data in iCloud+ may be offloaded to iCloud only if space is needed if you elected to optimize storage on the Mac at System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud. Otherwise, all documents remain on your computer and just sync with iCloud. If you're backing up your complete system, the files will still backup. If you're backing up selected directories, you'll need to navigate to the folder location containing your iCloud documents. It should be ~Library/Mobile Documents/

Jan 7, 2022 10:05 AM in response to muguy

Thanks for the response.

I did have my Optimize Mac Storage box checked but I unchecked the box today to see if that would release the data (documents, etc.) that my external device once had access to.

Currently I don't see any changes where any current documents are being backed up to my external device. I'm giving it a little time.

Under my Apple ID iCloud I show photos, key chain, iCloud Drive (options), iCloud Mail, Contacts Calendars and Find My Mac check boxes are checked.

My iCloud Drive options: Desktop & Documents Folder check box is checked and System Preferences.app check box is checked. No other box is checked in options.

I am not sure when you referred to Library/Mobile Documents? I couldn't find Mobile Documents under Library on my MacBook Pro.

Any further information you have to offered is greatly appreciated.

iCloud+ and External hard drive WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra with GoodSync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.