Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud buzzing noise when recording iPad M1 audio in Quicktime

This seems to be unique to the M1 iPads (seeing comments from others in the forum). When plugging iPad into a Mac and then using Quicktime on the Mac to monitor the iPad screen (I use this as a method for online teaching in Zoom), every 30 seconds or so there is a loud buzzing/electronic noise. This was consistant in testing two different 5th generation (M1) iPads with multiple Macs, and verified this with Apple in store where they tested this. This iPad to Quicktime solution works perfectly with previous generation iPads incidentally (tested with third & fourth generation iPad Pro 12.9" and first & second generation iPad Pro 11").

Has anyone found a work-around - does anyone know if Apple are working on a solution? I really need to be able to use this new iPad for teaching and it's currently not viable.

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 6:45 PM

Update on the buzzing issue. I reading through as much as I could find online, it appears updating the iOS to 15.2 (from 15.1) was sufficient to fix this (finally!). I saw other posts mentioning the computer the iPad was tethered to was also running the latest MAC OS (Monterey) but in my case I'm running a 2015 MacBook Pro with Catalina and the iOS update to 15.2 solved the buzzing issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 6:45 PM in response to Eric_G1

Update on the buzzing issue. I reading through as much as I could find online, it appears updating the iOS to 15.2 (from 15.1) was sufficient to fix this (finally!). I saw other posts mentioning the computer the iPad was tethered to was also running the latest MAC OS (Monterey) but in my case I'm running a 2015 MacBook Pro with Catalina and the iOS update to 15.2 solved the buzzing issue.

Jan 8, 2022 12:21 PM in response to jsw39

Hello jsw39,

We see you're having a buzzing issue occur while recording the iPad's screen in QuickTime on your Mac. We'd be happy to help.

Which Mac and macOS version is this happening on? Be sure to check for any available updates: Update macOS on Mac

You may also wish to try testing this out a in a newly created Admin user account, to see if it's a system-wide issue: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If possible, also try testing with a different cable from the iPad to the Mac.

If none of the above helps, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly to follow up for a further investigation: Get Support

Take care.

Loud buzzing noise when recording iPad M1 audio in Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.