Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Recovery - Mac OS Install Fails

Brand new MacBook Pro, never used, straight out of the box. Got the Volume Hash Mismatch error and random crashing repeatedly. Trying to reinstall MacOS Monterey over the network. Install runs for about half an hour, then errors out "unable to complete operation." Any clues?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 12:03 PM

"Volume hash mismatch" strongly implies to me that you might have an underlying physical problem with that hard drive. You can try going into Recovery Mode (option+cmd+R) and explicitly erasing the target disk. If that doesn't work, you know you have a drive issue. If the problem continues, I'd contact the vendor that you bought the machine from ... or, if it is brand-new and therefore covered by AppleCare, "Apple Support." These things do happen ...

In Recovery Mode, one of the menu-bar options will open a "log" display which might contain recent entries that will help you see what the installer ran into.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 12:03 PM in response to hahvahd

"Volume hash mismatch" strongly implies to me that you might have an underlying physical problem with that hard drive. You can try going into Recovery Mode (option+cmd+R) and explicitly erasing the target disk. If that doesn't work, you know you have a drive issue. If the problem continues, I'd contact the vendor that you bought the machine from ... or, if it is brand-new and therefore covered by AppleCare, "Apple Support." These things do happen ...

In Recovery Mode, one of the menu-bar options will open a "log" display which might contain recent entries that will help you see what the installer ran into.

Network Recovery - Mac OS Install Fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.