Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook stuck in Internet Recovery

I'm trying to reinstall a new version of Monterey on an old MacBook. I erased the disk in disk utility, and then initially selected boot from internet install. This crashed with a 2002f error.

I've since tried clearing the PVRAM (cmd alt R P pressed on start up), resetting the SMC, used all the recovery mode options I can find online (cmd R, alt cmd R, shift alt R), each time the MacBook boots to the Internet Recovery page, wanting to log into a wifi network. I've tried three different wifi networks (2.4g, 5g and tethered to a mobile, we have fibre to the property, with download speeds of around 900 mbs), and nothing gets it to work.

I have downloaded a clean install version of Monterey and placed it on a USB disc, but I cannot find a way to point the MacBook to that disc. The only screen that pops up is the Spinning Globe of the Internet Recovery and there's no other menus there! I've tried pressing Esc to see if that takes me back to a more usable menu, but I'm getting nothing!

How do I get the MacBook to stop trying the internet restore?!?!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 11:31 AM

Ha! Ignore me, fixed it. :)

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 24, 2022 10:39 AM in response to deedeetee72

deedeetee72 wrote:

I'm trying to reinstall a new version of Monterey on an old MacBook. I erased the disk in disk utility,

I have downloaded a clean install version of Monterey and placed it on a USB disc, but I cannot find a way to point the MacBook to that disc. The only screen that pops up is the Spinning Globe of the Internet Recovery and there's no other menus there! I've tried pressing Esc to see if that takes me back to a more usable menu, but I'm getting nothing!
How do I get the MacBook to stop trying the internet restore?!?!

"old MacBook"... (?)

Try holding the Option Key while rebooting w/ your USB installer is plugged in—and see if it presents itself...

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

if no success —

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

MacBook stuck in Internet Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.