Macbook Pro 15-inch (2018) stuck in Internet Recovery

Right now my macbook pro is stuck on a page with a spinning globe that says "Starting Internet Recovery. This may take a while." However before the bar fully loads, it keeps showing an error. Have tried it more than 5 times.

These were the steps I took before arriving at this issue:

I wanted to erase all my data in the macbook pro so I can sell it. I selected "erase all content and settings", and reinstalled the latest OS to boot the macbook. Later on, I read somewhere that I need to wipe from the disk utility too, but while attempting to do so, I may have pressed something wrongly and ended up here.

Right now I'm unable to get past this issue. Appreciate any help I can get.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 7:37 PM

marklxc wrote:

Right now my macbook pro is stuck on a page with a spinning globe that says "Starting Internet Recovery. This may take a while." However before the bar fully loads, it keeps showing an error. Have tried it more than 5 times.

I wanted to erase all my data in the macbook pro so I can sell it. I selected "erase all content and settings", and reinstalled the latest OS to boot the macbook. Later on, I read somewhere that I need to wipe from the disk utility too, but while attempting to do so, I may have pressed something wrongly and ended up here.

Try getting on a faster Network if you down load speed is suspect.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle ...

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2023 7:37 PM in response to marklxc

marklxc wrote:

Try getting on a faster Network if you down load speed is suspect.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle ...

Aug 12, 2023 7:55 AM in response to marklxc

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

Macbook Pro 15-inch (2018) stuck in Internet Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.