Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone photos

I recently transitioned from an android to an iPhone. The data transfer took several tries resulting in multiple duplicates of photos in my iPhone. Is there a way to move (not add/copy) photos from “recents” to separate albums to easily see which photos are duplicated? When I delete a picture in the recent folder, the copy in whatever corresponding album is also deleted. Does organizing your photos into albums double the amount of storage space required?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 2:18 PM

Hi,

When using the Photos app, any content placed in albums would not be duplicated. It will be the same photo file in the preferred album; regardless of how many albums contain that photo. If you delete the photo in one album, it will delete it from all, and from your photos. This applies to iCloud Photos and the Photos app.

Photos deleted are then moved to a ‘Recently Deleted’ album, and have the option to be recovered.

For duplicates, there is not a way to see what duplicates you may have. I would recommend downloading a third-party app on the App Store that offers the feature of sorting through your duplicates.

Another alternative would be to create an album, title it ‘Duplicates’, and then manually go through your photos and add all the duplicates you see to that album. Once you are done sorting through your photos, go to the album and delete all the duplicates except one.

Separating photos into new albums does not double the amount of storage space required, as you are never duplicating the photos being added to the preferred albums. It will always be the same photo file.

Hope this helps.

Resources

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 2:18 PM in response to Chrystal13

Hi,

When using the Photos app, any content placed in albums would not be duplicated. It will be the same photo file in the preferred album; regardless of how many albums contain that photo. If you delete the photo in one album, it will delete it from all, and from your photos. This applies to iCloud Photos and the Photos app.

Photos deleted are then moved to a ‘Recently Deleted’ album, and have the option to be recovered.

For duplicates, there is not a way to see what duplicates you may have. I would recommend downloading a third-party app on the App Store that offers the feature of sorting through your duplicates.

Another alternative would be to create an album, title it ‘Duplicates’, and then manually go through your photos and add all the duplicates you see to that album. Once you are done sorting through your photos, go to the album and delete all the duplicates except one.

Separating photos into new albums does not double the amount of storage space required, as you are never duplicating the photos being added to the preferred albums. It will always be the same photo file.

Hope this helps.

Resources

iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.