Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organising photos

Can iPhone move photos and not copy to an album or photo? I want to move photos and not copy to an album/folder as copying creates duplicates and is a space concern. The copying functionality is also not ideal as it still leaves ones photo library too big to manage

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 9:16 AM

I am assuming that you are not using iCloud Photos.

When you create albums on an iOS device, the photos are not copied to the new album. The new album merely contains pointers to the original photos so that they appear in the new album. Hence, no duplicates are created.

Bear in mind though that alums created on an iOS device are for local organization only and cannot be synced to a computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 9:16 AM in response to Noyno_SA

I am assuming that you are not using iCloud Photos.

When you create albums on an iOS device, the photos are not copied to the new album. The new album merely contains pointers to the original photos so that they appear in the new album. Hence, no duplicates are created.

Bear in mind though that alums created on an iOS device are for local organization only and cannot be synced to a computer.

Organising photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.