Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro does not open the Sampletank 4 libraries

Hi, I installed Sample Tank 4 in my Mac mini M1 and in standalone mode it works perfectly. When I open it in Logic Pro, I see the library icons but I can't see the sounds. Even redirecting the libraries doesn't load them. I always used this vst with Logic, for a month I bought a MacMini M1, and since then I can't use it. I have already contacted IK Multimedia, and even after their advice it doesn't change. I tried to use the vst with another sequencer and it works. Can you help me?

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 7:10 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jan 8, 2022 8:09 AM in response to Gjk1963

Oh, that's strange. Here it goes:

I'd suggest to try the following: 1) Restart the Mac; 2) Rescan plugins in Logic.

However, it's a bit difficult to discern from your post what exactly have changed since SampleTank 4 worked well. If your new Mac has a different version of macOS than your previous one, I'd say that might be the reason. However, as it works well with other DAW, it may be a bug in Logic or the Audio Unit itself. Besides, with other DAW you might be using a VST, not AU.

Could you, please, outline what troubleshooting advice did IK Multimedia customer support give you?

Jan 8, 2022 8:16 AM in response to Radarhus

IK advised me to update everything because with the previous Mac I did not have macOSMonterey, I did the updates of both Ios and IK, and at least in the stanalone version everything works.As I wrote, on the advice of IK, I tried another sequenzer and with this it also works as vst. I think it might be a Logic bug

Jan 8, 2022 8:34 AM in response to Gjk1963

So what's changed in your setup is the macOS version, as your new Mac Mini has macOS Monterey now, correct? Could you tell what the other sequencer is (the one where SampleTank works well)? I mean, if both DAWs use the same format of SampleTank plugin (i.e. Audio Unit), then the issue is with Logic (and you could report that to Apple and / or IK Multimedia, so that they seek the solution for you). However, if the other sequencer uses VST format of SampleTank plugin, but Logic is, obviously, using the AU format, then it might be slightly more complicated (i.e. the bug in AU-specific, and it's IK Multimedia's fault).

Jan 9, 2022 4:58 AM in response to Gjk1963

Well, you've been using plugins or software instruments, to be exact, which have different formats: VST (or VST3) and AU. There's also AAX – plugin format specific to ProTools DAW.

SampleTank 4 is a plugin, which is installed in your system both as AU (Audio Unit) and VST to provide compatibility across various DAWs. Plugins are installed to this folder: [Your System HD] typically "Macintosh HD"/Library/Audio/Plugins. You may open it up and see a number of folders: Components, VST, VST3 and so on. Have a look in these folders, you may find a "SampleTank4.component" file in "Components" folder (that is SampleTank 4 AU) and also a "SampleTank4.vst" or .vst3 in a corresponding folder (that's a VST format of the same plugin).

Logic Pro is only compatible with Audio Units. So you might have tested a VST plugin with Reaper, and it works perfectly well. But the AU plugin in Logic might be faulty (well, we don't know that for sure still). That's what I was trying to tell above. Hope that clarifies it for you.

Jan 9, 2022 6:45 AM in response to Radarhus

In the "components" folder I found SampleTank3.component-e SampleTank4 component. In the VST folder, I found Sample Tank 4.vst. In the VST3 folder, I found SampleTank 4.vst3. As I have already written, I have always used SampleTank as vst, from about 10 years, always with Logic.In Logic, if I look for Sample Tank, I find it by opening the drop-down menu instruments, Au Instruments, I open it, I see the icons of the libraries, but I don't see the various sounds. new path for libraries, and in stanalone everything works, but when I open it from Logic, nothing. Thanks for the availability anyway.

Jan 9, 2022 7:08 AM in response to Gjk1963

The SampleTank4.component and the SampleTank4.vst files are DIFFERENT files, though it's the same software instrument. So one of them might be corrupt, and another may work perfectly well.

When you say "I have always used SampleTank as vst" it doesn't mean that you used the VST format of the plugin in Logic, because Logic Pro is only compatible with Audio Unit plugin format. So it's the "SampleTankX.component" file that is loaded up when you choose the software instrument from the drop-down menu in Logic.

This is what I am trying to hammer down here: you might have tested a VST version of your plugin in Reaper and it worked well, but the AU version that you are trying to use in Logic malfunctions or isn't set up properly somehow.

Logic Pro does not open the Sampletank 4 libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.