Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X not reading its own Logic plugins

Hi All -- I recently purchased Logic 10.4.8 and the DAW will not read its own plugins. My third party plugins are read fine (Waves, iZotope and a few others). But most all the plugins that come with the DAW are not being recognized.

I have tried rescanning. Restarting Logic. Still not recognizing. When I rescan an individual plugin, a script window opens, but no script (or explanation) ever appears.

Interestingly, when I run a project with those plugins in use (from a previous computer), the project plays, but stops every few seconds (no sound), then starts up again. It does this through the entire project (song).

I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

The computer is old, but new to me. My projects are from someone else's slightly older (10.4.2) Logic projects.

But my newly purchased version of Logic should recognize it's own dang plugins!

Any ideas about what's going on: and fixes?

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 9:03 AM

The "seemingly not validated" is moot: Logics native plugins do not need (or get) validation, they are "pre-validated". The fact that on some projects 1 plugin takes minutes to validate points to a 3rd party plugin that is misbehaving. This plugin should be in either the folder Library/Audio/Plugins/Components or the user Library: Users/"you"/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components.

Why some projects misbehave and others do not, I can't say - but it may be worth a shot to move all projects that are not in that "good" folder (Music/Logic) to that good folder.

It could be an issue with that external drive, yes. Probably better to move any project that you want to work on to your system drive first, and only use that external for backups. Is it USB 2.0? That may well be the issue, USB 2 is not too fast. Especially if there ae many audio files this will quickly become the bottleneck. And you can move those projects onto your sytstem disk, since you have lots of free space there.

It may be worth to investigate (with Disk Utility) how that disk is formatted; should be HFS+, Mac OS extended. NOT FAT 16 or FAT 32.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 9:03 AM in response to HousePainterLogicUser

The "seemingly not validated" is moot: Logics native plugins do not need (or get) validation, they are "pre-validated". The fact that on some projects 1 plugin takes minutes to validate points to a 3rd party plugin that is misbehaving. This plugin should be in either the folder Library/Audio/Plugins/Components or the user Library: Users/"you"/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components.

Why some projects misbehave and others do not, I can't say - but it may be worth a shot to move all projects that are not in that "good" folder (Music/Logic) to that good folder.

It could be an issue with that external drive, yes. Probably better to move any project that you want to work on to your system drive first, and only use that external for backups. Is it USB 2.0? That may well be the issue, USB 2 is not too fast. Especially if there ae many audio files this will quickly become the bottleneck. And you can move those projects onto your sytstem disk, since you have lots of free space there.

It may be worth to investigate (with Disk Utility) how that disk is formatted; should be HFS+, Mac OS extended. NOT FAT 16 or FAT 32.

Feb 18, 2021 11:51 PM in response to HousePainterLogicUser

Why do you think Logic is not recognising its own plugins? Have you actually tried to insert them on a track? Or have you concluded it from the way they are listed in the plugin manager, as seemingly not validated? Well, if that is the case, they are there. They are appearing as not validated because only external (3rd party) plugins need validation.

And they cannot be absent because they are built into the application itself, they are not separate installs.

The issue with that one project is different - that sounds like a system overload issue.

What exactly is your computer? Which processor? How much RAM? How much empty space on your system disk?

Feb 19, 2021 8:49 AM in response to Eriksimon

Thanks for the reply, and your questions.

What I meant by "not recognizing its own plugins": First, opening Logic is problematic in that the process stalls (not a crash or a freeze) during this part -- Scanning Audio Units (finalized 0 or 1). It stays there for several minutes. No progress shows in the progress bar. I've let it be in that (what I perceive as stalled) activity until I abort in order to open the program.

When I then open an old (and we're talking old as in things I worked on as recently as earlier this week from a previous version of Logic (10.4.2) and a different computer) and finally get a project open, the Logic plugins -- Amp Designer, for example -- will not load into the stem that it is used on. In the plug-in manager, the Logic plugins have not been "successfully verified". I have rescanned, restarted numerous times. Same result.

So, sounds like your way of explaining the issue is correct.

However, I'd be super shocked if it was system overload issue. Running High Sierra on mid-2011 iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 16gb RAM, 1TB ssd. There is 870gb empty space. I just got the clean used iMac.

I am suspecting it has something to do with the migration from my MacBook? I migrated everything from it prior to downloading Logic, earlier this week. And on the MacBook, I kept Logic audio files (and most of my Logic projects) on an external storage drive. This morning I removed the external storage drive and Logic asked if I wanted to download the Logic audio files onto the computer rather than search for external, etc. I clicked yes, so it installed.

Still same issue, though. I can't open the old project files stored on my external drive. Logic just stalls searching for audio units (its own).

IMPORTANT DISCOVERY: I have a handful of old projects that were stored on the previous computer that migrated to MUSIC folder in the current iMac. Those open and play fine. Oddly, the plugins still read as (seemingly?) not validated.

So it's feeling like my iMac is not liking the external drive?

Feb 19, 2021 11:25 AM in response to Eriksimon

OMG, your clarification that the culprit is NOT a Logic plugin, but possibly a 3rd party plugin was right on. I let the scanning of audio units process run until something happened. (Left the room, ate lunch...). When I returned, Logic had successfully opened. So then I opened the plugin manager and discovered a third party plugin had not verified. (Waves Flow Motion). So I uninstalled that plugin, and another Waves (NX) that had been finicky on previous Logic version. And voila! Logic opens in normal fashion. All native plugins are working fine in both old and really old projects. And they are opening from the external drive and computer drive.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH Eriksimon, for helping illuminate some of my issues and terminology!!!

Logic Pro X not reading its own Logic plugins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.