Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot password for encrypted backup.

I cannot get the solution on the support page to work. I did the reset on the iPhone XR

but it does not prompt me to create a new password it just makes another encrypted backup with the old password

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 3:13 PM

The information that you have listed in your post is correct. When you create a new password then it only affects further (new) backups. The previous encrypted backup will always require its original password. You have unlimited tries to guess that password.

Axel F.

1 reply

Forgot password for encrypted backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.