Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No more Dolby Atmos?

I used to have Dolby Atmos icons on many of the Marvel movies and Netflix Movies, as well as movies I purchased via Apple. I just noticed they no longer have Atmos and instead the icon is 5.1. I confirmed on my Sony STR-DN1050 that when I play the content, it is playing in 5.1 and not Atmos any longer. The Dolby Vision 4k HDR (and IMAX Enhanced) content looks great, but the sound sucks. Anybody else notice this? What happened?

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 8:33 AM

How is your audio system connected?

If you have an AV receiver as HDMI hub, then Apple TV should be able to detect its Atmos capabilities.

If your TV acts as HDMI hub, and if it has eARC, then Apple TV should be able to detect Atmos capabilities.

If your TV acts as HDMI hub, and if it has regular ARC, then Apple TV will not detect Atmos capabilities (not enough bandwidth).

If the audio system is connected by optical or wireless, then Apple TV will not detect Atmos capabilities (not enough bandwidth).

Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver - Apple Support

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 8:33 AM in response to TKT2RDE

How is your audio system connected?

If you have an AV receiver as HDMI hub, then Apple TV should be able to detect its Atmos capabilities.

If your TV acts as HDMI hub, and if it has eARC, then Apple TV should be able to detect Atmos capabilities.

If your TV acts as HDMI hub, and if it has regular ARC, then Apple TV will not detect Atmos capabilities (not enough bandwidth).

If the audio system is connected by optical or wireless, then Apple TV will not detect Atmos capabilities (not enough bandwidth).

Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver - Apple Support

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Jan 8, 2022 7:32 PM in response to TKT2RDE

Oddly enough I just opened the TV app on my iphone 13 Prom Max and the Atmos icon is there. I thought I would try airplaying to my AppleTV and once again, looks amazing, but the Sony Receiver is once again showing the AppleTV is outputting 5.1 instead of Atmos. Very frustrating.

My AppleTV is an A1842 (32GB) on tvOS 15.2

This is a new problem as I know that I had Atmos before.

No more Dolby Atmos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.