Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages within the same account

My daughter has an iPad which is logged into my account, and controlled by school.

She uses it for school work, mostly, but also uses it for iMessage-ing between her and her mates. I don't have an iPhone, so it does not bother me.

I do have a Macbook, with the Apple Messages app fully switched off, so I don't get all her notifications.

If I open it, I see all her messages, which I'm not interested in, but I would like to message her, as I work away from home.

Do we think this can be done without disrupting the current log-ins, etc, or is it a case of setting up her own account, or a secondary one for me?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 3:49 AM

For your further consideration, in addition to ‘Family Sharing’ you might also want to consider using ‘Screen Time’ as well (includes restrictions and accesses) and the following link will explain this in more detail https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208982

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 9, 2022 2:45 AM in response to edbevan

I would like to message her, as I work away from home. Do we think this can be done without disrupting the current log-ins, etc,

You could message her though from your non-Apple phone as an SMS. You can send a message to "yourself" from your Mac which she would also on her iPad and you would see also on your Mac's Messages. Confusing, but it would work but it's sub-optimal.

or is it a case of setting up her own account, or a secondary one for me?

Yes, and sooner or later you are going to have to tackle this - and believe me, earlier is easier. I'm guessing your Apple ID is an email associated with you and one she would not want to retain, so the obvious action is to create a new Apple ID for her. This would involve a slight hurdle in your daughter sending a new ID to her mates but it's a momentary inconvenience for a long-term gain. Her new ID would also be her FaceTime ID for video and audio chats an all the other services Apple offers.

She would also have access to the services and content purchased on your Apple ID via a Family Sharing group. See here.

Jan 9, 2022 2:56 AM in response to edbevan

Hi edbevan, thank you for using Apple Support Communities for your enquiry.

Apple recommends that you do not share your AppleID but instead create a AppleID for each family member and consider setting up ‘Family Sharing’ as a better option. The following link explains this in more detail https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204976

Apple further explains how to Create an AppleID for your child. Please go to the following link https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201084

The issue with you messaging your daughter using the same account is going to be difficult because all her friends will see your messages and secondly they will know you can see their messages which may create an uncomfortable situation for you, your daughter and her friends.

Messages within the same account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.