Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change my number in settings so imessage/Facetime are wrong

I recently ported to O2 from Vodafone and have had a few issues but one is persistent - iMessage and Facetime includes only the temporary number O2 allocated to me which is shown in the ios Phone Settings "My Number". I have tried multiple times to change "My Number" (including after restarts, flight mode, etc.) but it doesn't seem to accept it - it immediately reverts back to the temporary number. This means I cannot use iMessage with anyone who has my number.

Any advice would be very helpful!

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 8:29 AM

No the number is not stored on the SIM.

In Settings, General, About, check for an update from O2.

With the phone still turned on, take out the SIM tray for a few seconds and slide it back in then repeat my instructions.

9 replies

Jan 9, 2022 7:58 AM in response to SravanKrA

The new number has worked for the last few days and I have restarted my phone multiple times but I cannot get imessage/Facetime to work.

When I make a telephone call, it correctly shows my actual number, not the temporary port number. The only issue with the temporary port number is in the iMessage/Facetime settings which I cannot link to my actual number.

On the O2 forum, someone suggested the temporary number was recorded on the SIM so I should get a new blank SIM from O2 to fix this - I don't know if this makes sense to people here?

Thank you

Jan 9, 2022 7:47 AM in response to LD150

Thanks - I tried this before but did just try again. Unfortunately it doesn't work - "My Number" still shows the old temporary number (which I try to change but it ignores what I type and immediately reverrts back) and my actual number does not show up in the list of options for iMessage/Facetime.

Cannot change my number in settings so imessage/Facetime are wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.