Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore iPod shuffle 2022

Hi everyone,

I dug out my old Silver iPod shuffle and found it working, but with a music list I don't like.

I ran a restore using Music (MacOS 12.1) and it erased the Shuffle, but it now only appears as a USB drive.

Is there any way to get Shuffle OS 1.0.4 back onto this device?

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 12:36 PM

airhead830,

That's great that you're able to restore it using another computer. Does this also happen when started to safe mode or another user account? Safe mode will let us know if a third-party process is causing this. Here's more information on safe mode and how to start there: How to use safe mode on your Mac

After testing there, restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode: Shut down or restart your Mac

Then, create a new user account to see if the same thing happens there. This tells us if the issue is system-wide or only within your user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac:

Keep us posted.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 12:36 PM in response to airhead830

airhead830,

That's great that you're able to restore it using another computer. Does this also happen when started to safe mode or another user account? Safe mode will let us know if a third-party process is causing this. Here's more information on safe mode and how to start there: How to use safe mode on your Mac

After testing there, restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode: Shut down or restart your Mac

Then, create a new user account to see if the same thing happens there. This tells us if the issue is system-wide or only within your user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac:

Keep us posted.

Jan 10, 2022 12:59 PM in response to airhead830

Hello airhead830,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having with your iPod not being seen on your Mac to sync music. These steps should help: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Be sure to use the Finder to sync the music over. Here's a great guide to follow: Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

Let us know how it goes.

Take care.

Jan 16, 2022 12:14 PM in response to airhead830

Chris,

That is really good to know as it tells us where to focus our troubleshooting. This means there's an app, settings or possibly file causing this to happen. To start to narrow it down and resolve it, start with your login items: Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac

Do you have any security software installed? If so, temporarily disable or remove that and see if the issue resolves. More information can be found in the following guide. While it does say it's for "Windows", it has some really great information to help with security software: Resolve issues between iCloud for Windows or iTunes and third-party security software

If those steps don't help to isolate and resolve this, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support to look into this more with you: Get Support

Take care!

Jan 15, 2022 4:16 PM in response to TammyW_03

Hi Tammy,

I restarted the MacBook Air M1 in Safe Mode. The iPod drive would appear for a second and then disappear. I then created a new account on the M1 MacBook, and the iPod showed up and was accessible as expected.

Based on this, there is something wrong with my user account and not the machine. Do I have to create a new user account to resolve this?

Chris

Jan 17, 2022 12:49 PM in response to TammyW_03

Hi Tammy,

Between the iPod shuffle error and a couple of others I was having with iCloud contacts, I decided to create a fresh version of my user account (before seeing this message). To do that, I had to free up drive space, so I deleted the old account :-(

So I'm afraid I can't be of further assistance with troubleshooting, but the good news is everything is operating as expected (including the iPod) with the new user account.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris

restore iPod shuffle 2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.