Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey installing says (Null)

So i started downloading the new update Monterey from the app store like everyone else. So far so good. 12gbs go by we get to the installation screen perfect right? All sudden once im in the process of installing it says (Null).... I try restarting it and the same result happened.... I have the space for the update and my macbook pro is from 2017...Ive been trying for weeks. I need help to update my macbook...ive been sitting on 10.14 (Mojave) for too long

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 4:31 PM

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 4:31 PM in response to Nicktoddie

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Jan 10, 2022 6:57 AM in response to Nicktoddie

Some users experience this issue when jumping from Mojave 10.14 and Catalina 10 15 Directly to Monterey.

Other have had success.

Technically - one should be able to jump but other times a more measures approach is needs.

That being upGrading to Catalina or Big Sur First and then make the final step to Monterey.

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur & Monterey supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

macOS Monterey installing says (Null)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.