📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15.2 update– photos in Messages and Photos disappeared

I’ve just read a bit about this regarding the iOS 15 update, but I just updated my phone to 15.2 and something both similar and worse happened to me.

I think it’s because Apple tried (and failed) to do something with the “saved from” and “shared with” features. But I just begrudgingly updated to 15.2 because I got new AirPods (and I hadn't updated to iOS 15 yet because I'd heard terrible things), and I noticed that hundreds of photos have disappeared from my messages. If I hit person's name > photos > see all, there are countless images missing. There’s no “download” option anymore, and if I look for one of the missing photos in the message chain, it shows the “tap to download” but won’t load anything when I tap. I've also noticed that the photos missing from my messages are also missing from my photo album, for the ones that I saved there. 

Just beyond frustrating, not something you think you have to worry about. So many valuable pictures gone– they were literally stolen by Apple. Is there a fix for this? Is Apple working to fix this? They need to restore the photos, this is ridiculous.

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 8:25 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 11, 2022 6:59 AM in response to SravanKrA

Seeing how all of the images were still in my iMessages before the update, it's 100% related to the the update. That, and the fact that multiple people both on Support Communities and other platforms have experienced photo losses related to the update. I did not do anything that you have suggested– this wasn't a user error. I quite literally did not touch a single thing on my phone other than update.

iOS 15.2 update– photos in Messages and Photos disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.