Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will bootcamp come to M1 macs?

When will we see windows on the new M1 silicon macs? Any idea?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 4:28 AM

37 replies

May 30, 2022 6:24 PM in response to Joehogan57

Hi Joehogan57,

You can run Asahi Linux natively on any M1 Mac (except the Mac Studio at the time of writing). This is all thanks to both:

• The Apple engineers, for creating a less restricted boot environment and permitting users to install third-party kernels on Apple silicon Macs, and

• The Asahi Linux team, for devoting countless hours towards reverse-engineering Apple silicon hardware, updating the Linux kernel to support it, and creating all of the necessary software to install and load Linux. The team includes Hector Martin, Alyssa Rosenzweig, Dougall Johnson, Sven Peter, Mark Kettenis, and others.

Review the following before installing Asahi Linux:

• Asahi Linux is currently in ALPHA stage. It doesn't support all of your Mac's hardware features yet.

• Before you install Asahi Linux on your Mac, open Terminal, and run "diskutil list" without the quotes. SAVE THE RESULTS IN A SAFE PLACE. It will prove extremely helpful if/when you decide to uninstall Asahi Linux later on.

• Ensure that you have at least 53 GB of free space available.

• While Asahi Linux runs, you won't be able to access any data from your regular macOS installation. This is by design on Apple's part (see the Permissive Security section, which only applies to Asahi Linux - not your macOS install). Your data is completely safe though, and everything will still be there whenever you reboot back into macOS.

Feb 18, 2022 3:16 PM in response to SairamBuddiga

Tons of Mac users use windows 11 on arm through parallels right now. Mine is registered through microsoft through a windows pro key. The problem is with qualcomm, they have an exclusivity deal that supposedly ends soon. If that happens, microsoft is free to start selling windows on arm to anyone. Of course, that will require apple to write a boot loader, so don't hold your breath.

Jul 25, 2022 11:41 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Bootcamp on intel Mac was two things

• A tool that will create a partition on Mac for windows.
  • Drivers for Windows to run a Mac hardware.

On Apple silicon machine.

• Apple silicon machine natively supports multiple partitions for multiple operating systems.
  • Windows drivers for Apple silicon Mac are still needed. But Microsoft does not openly allow licensing to company like Apple. Which mean Apple is not allow to run windows for arm on Mac. Until this change, Apple will probably not be creating any Windows drivers for the Apple silicon macs.

Apr 14, 2022 7:01 PM in response to SairamBuddiga

M1 mac doesn't support boot camp and it will never support bootcamp. Apple silicon Mac have a new Start Up options feature. You can install any OS you want on it and do multi boot. There are no restriction from Apple. There is a new Linux OS called Asahi that is in alpha that supports it already. Apple silicon Mac's ability to run Windows is in the hand of Microsoft, not Apple.

Apr 26, 2022 9:17 AM in response to mikethemistymay

mikethemistymay wrote:

Hmmm... explain Surface Pro X.

You are conflating two things, the Surface ARM comuter and the OS.. The public can and does buy the newer Surface computers with the Microsoft SQ® 1 and Microsoft SQ® 2 custom ARM processors with Windows ARM installed. The public can not buy Windows 11 ARM OS separately from Microsoft.

May 16, 2022 7:04 AM in response to KiltedTim

this is actually a good decision on Windows side, as for me the need to have access to a Windows partition with 100% hardware support is important for programming and I can't afford to buy both mac (which I prefer for most work) and windows machine that I only need for like 30% of my work. So, in light of M1 not supporting bootcamp, I am sure I am not the only one who will buy a windows machine as the next computer, because M1 mac just does not cut it for me at all. Sorry. After 4 macs and all iOS devices, I will go to the Windows side of **** because Apple makes me and MS sees this as an opportunity to get a few new users and make some sales. Sucks, but after 12 years, I will be leaving Apple computer user base because of this.

May 26, 2022 10:53 AM in response to paolo90

paolo90 wrote:

I'm confused by the comments in this thread. Doesn't Microsoft sell Windows ARM to everyone?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/arm/overview

No. Microsoft sells ARM devices such as the Surface computer. Microsoft does have an ARM insider program that provides pre-release versions of Windows 11 ARM for development and testing purposes.

Jul 15, 2022 6:42 AM in response to KiltedTim

Oh, I wonder what I’ve been running on Parallels for over 6 months. May be an hallucination, but I’m thinking its Win11, Windows Insider Arm64 preview. To download it register Windows insider {free}, decide whether or not to spend a fer dollars on Parallels and get the preview iso {free}. See parallels.com Run Windows on Mac without rebooting.

When will bootcamp come to M1 macs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.