Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening a file from Finder in Preview makes the screen revert to another program

If I’m editing a lot of files in Finder, and opening them up in Preview to be able to (say) save as a jpeg, when I close Preview, because the screen has jumped onto something else (like iMovie) I need to navigate back to Finder.

Anyone know why as soon as you double click a file to open in Preview, rather than the ‘back screen’ just stay as Finder, it jumps to something else that’s open. If nothing else it opens it goes back to the Desktop screen.

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 9:18 AM

This discussion seems to be similar to your problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251386365

3 replies

Jan 12, 2022 8:47 AM in response to --hi

Hi. Thanks for the prompt response. With nothing else open, it seems as soon as I double click a file to open in Finder, it minimises Finder and the backdrop is my desktop. Therefore, once I close Preview I’m back on the Desktop and need to re click Finder to open it again. Ideally I’d just like Finder to remain open with all folders and files, closing one file would then mean I can immediately open another.

Opening a file from Finder in Preview makes the screen revert to another program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.