Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Accidental calling of favorites on hang up on my iPhone

For the last year or so, I've had a problem where I go to end a call which is over by clicking end call, but the other person hangs up first, and the screen change back to the "favorites" or "Recent calls" list, causing me to initiate a call with whoever was below the end call button. I have an iPhone 11, and this never happened with my previous iPhones. It seems something must have changed around that time.

Any advice on how to prevent this from happening? The person who is 8th on my favorites list is getting kind of annoyed.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 7:26 AM

PLEASE FIX THIS....It happens multiple time's per week...you go to hit the end call button but the screen disappears at the same time bc the other person hung up faster...you then click one of your favorites by accident...When a call ends, it should close out the phone app all together and you should be looking at your home screen after a call...PLEASE FIX THIS

170 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 7:26 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

PLEASE FIX THIS....It happens multiple time's per week...you go to hit the end call button but the screen disappears at the same time bc the other person hung up faster...you then click one of your favorites by accident...When a call ends, it should close out the phone app all together and you should be looking at your home screen after a call...PLEASE FIX THIS

Jul 17, 2022 10:36 PM in response to justinsarma

Apple this unacceptable if you really worried about your Apple Customers its important to fix this annoying thing immediately this question was posted on Jan 2022 and i am still facing the same issue even now it very frustrating and your so called solution of using the side lock button doesnt help its not a solution that we are ready to change to.

Its a simple solution after the call has ended increase the time of the screen showing the total time spoken that way we need not accidently touch our screens to end the call and dial somebody from the list (Favorites or Recent) .

expecting an early action on this

Oct 9, 2023 1:06 AM in response to justinsarma

This is iOS 17+ only, temporary workaround. It's not perfect and has its own limit.

At least you won't call someone accidently by hanging up little too late.

1. Open Shortcuts app (It's integrated in iOS)

2. Tap "Automation" at the bottom of the screen

3. Tap "New Automation".

4. Scroll down and tap "App".

5. Tap "Choose" and select "Phone" then "Done".

6. Unmark "Is Opened" and mark "Is Closed". (Make sure ONLY "Is Closed" is marked.)

7. Mark "Run immediately"

8. Tap "Next" at the top right.

9. On the screen, tap "New Blank Automation".

10. Tap "Add Action".

11. Type in "go to" in the search box and tap "Go to Home Screen" that pops up below.

12. Tap "Done".

That's it.

Now when you call someone, the screen immediately goes to home screen, preventing

accidental calling from favorite or recent list.

If you want to go back to phone app during call just tap the green phone icon at

top-left. It will still go back to home screen when the call ends by either side.

May 24, 2022 8:00 AM in response to justinsarma

A Really simple fix would be to add a slight delay to the in call screen after the other person hangs up. You’d effectively let both parties hit hang up and end the call gracefully. The only possible side effect would be if someone doesn’t hit the end call button, they have to look at the in-call screen for an extra second. I honestly think the older phones did this somehow. I’m not sure if there was a delay that was removed or if the acknowledgment of the other caller hanging up just got quicker on newer phones. Either way this isn’t a difficult problem to solve and it’s effecting all of your users, I get lots of pocket dials during the day at work from people this is happening to and I do it multiple times a day myself. You’re just seeing a small subset of users here that were annoyed enough to seek out this thread.

Jul 12, 2022 8:54 PM in response to justinsarma

I just did it for the umpteenth time. There is no way to get around it when it happens to you. I've moved the person under the "end" button three times so that different people are getting these unintentional calls from me. The problem is that even though I instantly hang up when I realize what I've done, they still get a push notification that they missed my call. That usually results in a call back where I have to explain what happened (again), but also have to waste 5 minutes being polite and having a conversation with them which neither of us wanted at that moment. And that's if it isn't at some ungodly hour of the day, which it often is. It is such an easy bug to fix, but update after update hasn't resulted in it being remedied. I just complained about it at the link below, which will hopefully get more attention than this forum:

Product Feedback - Apple

Mar 10, 2022 9:08 AM in response to justinsarma

I'm having this problem every day and often multiple times a day. I am not sure when it started, but it seems like it's been sometime in the last few months. This is a serious problem, especially if you have people in your favorites list who are in different time zones. Accidental calls are always a frustration for the person being called, but if my attempt to hang up on a at 7:30 a.m. eastern time results in me accidently calling and waking up someone in California at 4:30 a.m. their time, the ramifications can be much worse than an inconvenience. If the person is in need of rest in order to be sharp for a critical court hearing or meeting that day, I cold have blown it for them and their clients. This is something that needs to be fixed.

May 24, 2022 8:26 AM in response to User_TK

User_TK wrote:

A Really simple fix would be to add a slight delay to the in call screen after the other person hangs up. You’d effectively let both parties hit hang up and end the call gracefully. The only possible side effect would be if someone doesn’t hit the end call button, they have to look at the in-call screen for an extra second. I honestly think the older phones did this somehow. I’m not sure if there was a delay that was removed or if the acknowledgment of the other caller hanging up just got quicker on newer phones. Either way this isn’t a difficult problem to solve and it’s effecting all of your users, I get lots of pocket dials during the day at work from people this is happening to and I do it multiple times a day myself. You’re just seeing a small subset of users here that were annoyed enough to seek out this thread.

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. Their participation here is minimal. However, you can let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jul 19, 2022 4:27 AM in response to justinsarma

This is a very frustrating issue. Below is a temporary fix I follow:

• Create 2 dummy contacts with invalid telephone numbers
  • Add these 2 dummy entries to the favorite list so that the position is right below the End-Call red button.
  • If you accidentally click these dummy entries, the call will not go through.

Not an elegant solution. But it is better than disturbing someone by mistake.

Apr 26, 2023 6:29 AM in response to JCMarie333

JCMarie333 wrote:

This has become so annoying. I’m accidentally dialing people in my recents multiple times per day. I just came back to iPhone after leaving them for two years. This is making me regret that decision. This can easily be fixed by either A.) making the call function from recents a swipe instead of a tap, or B.) defaulting to the Home Screen after a call. The call function is TOO SENSITIVE. Please Apple, this is is simple. Fix it!

Apple's participation in ths user-to-user forum is minimal. They do not read here for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

The more people who do, the more likely it is that this issue will be something they pay attention to.

Accidental calling of favorites on hang up on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.