Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot play this video because it uses an unsupported format - is there a solution?

I've discovered that any video imported to my Mac from about May 2019 onwards that wasn't recorded on my own iPhone won't play. I don't know how long this has been an issue (I will have played them on my phone and then downloaded them assuming they would be fine) and have just discovered as I'm housekeeping before migrating to new Mac. They were all probably sent to my via WhatsApp and then downloaded to the Mac. Videos from the same sender sent earlier than that are still playing. When I try to open the video I get the unsupported format message, but can't find any way to find the files in Finder to try another player. The Photos app knows the length of each video.

From the same date I've discovered that although I can open photos sent to me and then downloaded to the Mac, I cannot edit or export them - I get a message saying that the file is not present.

I'm concerned that if I try to migrate I'm going to have hundreds of photos and videos that won't migrate and any help to recover would be gratefully received. I'm currently on High Sierra on the 2010 Mac and Photos 3.0

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 2:50 AM

No I’ve tried that Tony but thanks for the suggestion. I’ve concluded that with both the photos and videos that have been in some way ‘corrupted’ it’s to do with importing them into Photos on the Mac from my iPhone. My solution has been to accept they are unredeemable. I’ve discovered that many are still stored in my WhatsApp history - curiously I can send them from WhatsApp to the Mac by email and import by drag and drop to Photos - where they then play and edit perfectly. It is a chance for me to clean everything up and only save what I really want.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 2:50 AM in response to TonyCollinet

No I’ve tried that Tony but thanks for the suggestion. I’ve concluded that with both the photos and videos that have been in some way ‘corrupted’ it’s to do with importing them into Photos on the Mac from my iPhone. My solution has been to accept they are unredeemable. I’ve discovered that many are still stored in my WhatsApp history - curiously I can send them from WhatsApp to the Mac by email and import by drag and drop to Photos - where they then play and edit perfectly. It is a chance for me to clean everything up and only save what I really want.

Photos cannot play this video because it uses an unsupported format - is there a solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.