Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos and photos export with errors from Apple Photos

Hi, I am using iPhone 13 and iMac 10.15.7 OS. Went on a marvelous vacation to the Caribbean and now trying to transfer about 20 videos to external HD. Everything recorded I can watch on the iPhone or using iPad or iMac with no issues. I want to export videos due to storage and iCloud constraints. When I do that export process goes through usual motions but then out of 20 movies (ranging from 15 to 70 seconds) I get 14 files with errors.

"The document “IMG_2523.mov” could not be opened. The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player."

How is that even possible? It is all iOS and OSX chain.

I checked posts on this forum and for long time nobody asked same question.

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 8:54 AM

> export process goes through usual motions but then out of 20 movies (ranging from 15 to 70 seconds)

Describe the export workflow in more detail.

I just tried 10-bit HDR/HLG HEVC originally from iPhone 12 on Monterey Photos.app.

Via the recommended File > Export unmodified original the export is instant and the original movie is exported.

But via drag-and-drop to the Desktop it takes somewhat longer and converts to H.264 8-bit with GPS stripped off.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2022 8:54 AM in response to Zack P.

> export process goes through usual motions but then out of 20 movies (ranging from 15 to 70 seconds)

Describe the export workflow in more detail.

I just tried 10-bit HDR/HLG HEVC originally from iPhone 12 on Monterey Photos.app.

Via the recommended File > Export unmodified original the export is instant and the original movie is exported.

But via drag-and-drop to the Desktop it takes somewhat longer and converts to H.264 8-bit with GPS stripped off.

Jun 29, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Hi there. I tried with unmodified files and that worked out. Strangely enough some files have names like E484102A-73EC-4965-A74B-E508B1EDBE14.mp4 and others "normal names" like IMG_3085.mov but I won't complaint too much about it.

QuickTime played everything with no issues so my movies are safe and preserved!

The reason why I didn't even try to export unmodified originals is that I went to export all pictures (1200) from the same vacation using that process and it took iMac about 15 hours to do it (!?) with bad results. I had to wipe out everything and then select, move and drop about 70 pictures at the time to USB stick. That is until I copied them all. Something is strangely wrong there.

Videos and photos export with errors from Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.