Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty syncing movies from Mac photos to my iPhone

Some movies on my Mac (photos) don't sync with photos on my iPhone. This is the error message which pops up:

“0CF978AB-080F-4BF9-A4FA-9C70153F6434.mov” was not copied to the iPhone “Michael’s 13th iphone” because it cannot be played on this iPhone.

Some videos were not copied to the iPhone “Michael’s 13th iphone” because they cannot be played on this iPhone.

The problem is that the filename that appears is not the real file name - I have no way of searching for this file on my Mac!

Help

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 4:37 AM

You can search for this filename, if you open the Photos Library in the Finder.

Find your Photos Library in the Finder, then ctrl-click or right click it. Now use the command “show package contents”. In the window that opens go to the folder originals. Now search for the name of the file. Be careful not to modify anything, just look.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 4:37 AM in response to Mikejb63

You can search for this filename, if you open the Photos Library in the Finder.

Find your Photos Library in the Finder, then ctrl-click or right click it. Now use the command “show package contents”. In the window that opens go to the folder originals. Now search for the name of the file. Be careful not to modify anything, just look.

Mar 21, 2022 9:23 AM in response to Mikejb63

Apple is renaming all files internally in the Photos Library with unique names. Photos 5 on Catalina is the first version of Photos that does no longer store our original image files internally unmodified. The Photos.app is showing us the original image files, but it has to look them up in the internal databases. When you sync movies to your iPhone with the Finder, the Finder is seeing just the renamed files.

To make it easier to see the renamed filenames you could get yourself the app PowerPhotos from Fatcatsoftware: https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

The free trial version will suffice to see the internal filenames. When you select an image from your Photos Library in PowerPhotos, you can see the internal pathnames, for example:

Difficulty syncing movies from Mac photos to my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.