Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 1st Generation charges and then randomly loses charge progress

Hello,

I don't have any issues with pairing or working my device luckily but I just wanted to inquire about something that concerned me. While I was using my device, I received a notification that the Pencil was on 3% battery life so I of course plugged it in. I waited a while and it had not changed very much at all but eventually started to show that it was almost done charging. However, when I looked at its charging status again a few minutes later to see if it was done, it had gone back down to 6% out of nowhere. Currently, I just restarted my iPad and now the pencil seems to be charging pretty quickly, however it almost seemed "stuck" on 78% for several minutes. It was going up in charge pretty quickly until a moment ago. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and now says its at 81%.

For clarification, since I've purchased the pencil about a month ago, I have not gone more than a few days without using it. So my question is, to avoid having future charging troubles, does the pencil need to be charged whenever it is not being used? Now that I've researched it I'm seeing that if the pencil sits for a while without actively being charged then the battery will simply just dies because it is too small. Also, I purchased this product from Target and wasn't sure what that means in terms of the warranty if I ever needed to fix it. Any answers are appreciated thank you!

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 7:45 AM

Yes, you should be mindful of keeping the Pencil charged.

Unlike the second generation Pencil, that can be simply magnetically docked for charging with the host iPad whenever it is not being actively used, the first generation Pencil relies upon its Lightning connector to charge. Constant connection to the iPad is possible, but doing so risks physical damage to the iPad and Pencil Lightning connectors if knocked or strained.

However, the first generation Pencil is supplied (in the box) with a small in-line charging adapter. You can use this adapter to charge the pencil from your existing iPad Power Adapter and associated charging cable. Continuous charging when not being used should be unnecessary; just make a point of checking your Pencil’s charge level regularly.

Be aware that an undisturbed Pencil will shut-off its Bluetooth connection to save power, but if moved/moving will turn-on the Bluetooth connection - consuming more power.

If purchased from a Apple Authorised Retailer, in addition to your retailer’s warranty, Apple have a limited one-year warranty for your Pencil.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 7:45 AM in response to Majerli

Yes, you should be mindful of keeping the Pencil charged.

Unlike the second generation Pencil, that can be simply magnetically docked for charging with the host iPad whenever it is not being actively used, the first generation Pencil relies upon its Lightning connector to charge. Constant connection to the iPad is possible, but doing so risks physical damage to the iPad and Pencil Lightning connectors if knocked or strained.

However, the first generation Pencil is supplied (in the box) with a small in-line charging adapter. You can use this adapter to charge the pencil from your existing iPad Power Adapter and associated charging cable. Continuous charging when not being used should be unnecessary; just make a point of checking your Pencil’s charge level regularly.

Be aware that an undisturbed Pencil will shut-off its Bluetooth connection to save power, but if moved/moving will turn-on the Bluetooth connection - consuming more power.

If purchased from a Apple Authorised Retailer, in addition to your retailer’s warranty, Apple have a limited one-year warranty for your Pencil.

Apple Pencil 1st Generation charges and then randomly loses charge progress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.