Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple pencil 2 will not charge - is at the moment 0%

I have a 2 year old (bought 10.01.2019 through the company) apple pencil ver. 2 where the battery is now at 0%. It has been left unused in the drawer for approx. 1 1/2 years and now it will not charge at all when I connect it to my iPad. I have had it sent to Apple's partner in Denmark for repair, but they say that it can not be made and that it is no longer under warranty. They state that the apple pencil must never be discharged whole, but there are no steroids in the instructions for use that were included. I have tried heating the pencil, charging on another iPad, but nothing helps. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do - other than throw it away?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 2:04 AM

Thanks for your answer - it's just a shame that Apple in their instructions does not write anything about this, so now the pen goes to electronics scrap.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 8, 2021 6:39 AM in response to clauscarlDK

You already have a truthful assessment of your Apple Pencil.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge.

Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil; an Apple Pencil cannot be repaired. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store. Otherwise, the Pencil should be returned to Apple for responsible recycling.

Feb 9, 2021 2:47 AM in response to clauscarlDK

A suitable warning is indeed an omission within Apple’s documentation.

Unfortunately, the Apple Pencil does not have an on/off switch with which to isolate the battery when unused. The Pencil does have a “soft-off” (shipping) condition that can be triggered - but this procedure is, again, not documented.

Whilst idle, the Pencil will reduce its power usage to its minimum; whilst minimal, a “sleeping” pencil is always consuming some power from its tiny battery. In the “shipping” state, battery charge depletion is reduced almost to that of natural self discharge of the battery.

Apple do invite constructive feedback and comment via their product feedback pages. I don’t recall seeing a feedback page for the Apple Pencil, however, the iPad page is perhaps the most appropriate to offer feedback regarding practical aspects of Apple Pencil:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

apple pencil 2 will not charge - is at the moment 0%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.