You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey printer connection problem

Since installing Monterey, I can't connect to Cannon MF642cdw. Tried the basic stuff, shutting everything down and restarting, reconnecting printer to network, computer to network. Nada. Need help.

(Late 2015 iMac Retina5k, 27")

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 5:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 12:56 AM

It is listed as being as Airprint compatible and thus it should just work. What happens when you reset the printing system and try readding the printer? Are there any options for drivers?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Palaikymas (LT)

You can also try the drivers listed here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/canon-color-imageclass-mf642cdw?tab=drivers_downloads

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2022 12:56 AM in response to Fellini150

It is listed as being as Airprint compatible and thus it should just work. What happens when you reset the printing system and try readding the printer? Are there any options for drivers?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Palaikymas (LT)

You can also try the drivers listed here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/canon-color-imageclass-mf642cdw?tab=drivers_downloads

Jan 14, 2022 10:50 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you for your reply. No solution yet. I tried resetting the printing system. I have not yet tried installing a driver, my understanding is that I shouldn't have to as it is an AirPrint compatible printer. I also have an older iPad, which I have often printed from. Interesting: the iPads connected to network but can also no longer locate the printer. So, the problem is related to the printer, it seems. I have unplugged the printer, then reconnected the printer to the wifi network many times, the printer shows it is connected, but it can't be located by the Mac or the iPad. Thank you for your help.

Jan 14, 2022 2:28 PM in response to lllaass

The connection information screen on printer says Master1 network. When I select "Latest error information," it says "No errors."

The computer preferences>network page says Network Name: Master1. Check boxes under Network Name: "Automatically join this network" checked; "Ask to join Personal Hotspots" checked; "Limit AP Address Tracking"" unchecked; "Ask to join new networks" unchecked.

This was weird: When I was fooling around with the checkboxes under Network Name, and the "add printer" box was open elsewhere on the screen, the Canon printer suddenly showed up in the add printer box, and I selected it. While I was trying to write down what I had just done so I wouldn't forget it, the Canon printer just disappeared from the box! I can't get it back!

Again, thank you for your help.

Finally, I had a Master5 network, a duplicate I think, show up on the computer preferences networks, not selected, which I deleted. Still no printer, wah!

Monterey printer connection problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.