Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain songs downloaded to iPhone won't play, instead prompt to join Apple Music

I have an old iPhone 6 I have set up as a music player. A few songs won't play - when I try to play them, it instead prompts me to join Apple Music.

These songs were previously purchased from the iTunes Store but the files have been downloaded to a Mac and synced onto the iPhone using Finder. The phone is signed into iCloud using the same account that purchased the songs. I have many other songs previously purchased from the iTunes Store on this phone that do not exhibit this behaviour and play just fine.

The songs play fine on the Mac from which they are synced.

I have tried deleting the songs off the phone and re-syncing them from the Mac.

I have tried deleting the songs off the phone and re-downloading from the iTunes Store - this does not work because it registers that the song has been previously purchased. There is not even the option to re-download the song from the cloud as a previously purchased song.

What else could I try?

iPhone 6

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 4:54 PM

Hello AlanForrest,

Thank you for reaching out about this issue playing and downloading certain songs. Since you mentioned that you don't see the option to redownload the purchased songs in the iTunes Store, we'd like to start by confirming that you're following the exact steps shown here: Redownload music - Apple Support

If you still don't see the purchased songs, try these steps next: If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple - Apple Support

If you aren't able to download and play the songs after trying those steps, we suggest contacting Apple directly for further assistance at: Get Support

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 4:54 PM in response to AlanForrest

Hello AlanForrest,

Thank you for reaching out about this issue playing and downloading certain songs. Since you mentioned that you don't see the option to redownload the purchased songs in the iTunes Store, we'd like to start by confirming that you're following the exact steps shown here: Redownload music - Apple Support

If you still don't see the purchased songs, try these steps next: If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple - Apple Support

If you aren't able to download and play the songs after trying those steps, we suggest contacting Apple directly for further assistance at: Get Support

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2022 4:54 PM in response to AlanForrest

Hello AlanForrest,

Cheers!

Certain songs downloaded to iPhone won't play, instead prompt to join Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.