Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App is using 46 GB documents and data!? Cannot install updates or add other apps.

App: Mini Golf 100 .

Developer: Added a “clear cache” button to settings, but can’t explain or help with the ridiculous docs/data storage.

My actions:

1. I recorded vids of play for uploading to YouTube.
  2. I transferred vids, then deleted from library.

46 GB would be hours of high-res vids.

QUESTIONS

What exactly is in the documents and data?

How can I see and manage that?

If there’s a loop, who’s responsible and can fix it - the dev or Apple?

Do I have any alternative to deleting the app?

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 1:49 AM

Thank you for that information. I was told in an Apple store that support staff monitored the forums and would sometimes help on difficult problems. I just deleted the app, losing the many hours I’d spent on it but regaining about 70% of the memory space.

4 replies

Jan 14, 2022 1:31 AM in response to 老老外13

If your internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Updating your iPad using a PC or Mac computer can reduce the amount of free-space necessary to perform the update - as the initial download, unpacking and verification is performed on the computer prior to installation. However, even this method is not possible if your iPad has too little free space.

Jan 14, 2022 7:33 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for your reply, but this is not a boilerplate problem. It has nothing whatsoever do to with iCloud, I offloaded most apps so I could update the iPad so that’s not helpful and deleting a few rarely used apps totaling less than 1 GB will not solve the 46 GB documents and data problem consumed by only one (1) app.

Again, the real questions are why is Mini Golf 100+ using 46 GB of data (I presume the documents account for only a few kb), and what can I do to inspect, move, or delete the data without deleting the app, leaving just essential player data?

App is using 46 GB documents and data!? Cannot install updates or add other apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.