Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air going dead after charging with generic USB-C cable

I messed up my USB-C cable to my 2020 MacBook Air. I bought an Apple one from Best Buy, but it was too short. So, I found a generic one on Amazon. Now, last night I left the MacBook with a 77% charge. I open it today and it's dead. This is the second day in a row this has happened. Could the dead battery be from using a generic USB-C charger? I bought an official one from Apple just in case. Anyone else have this issue?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 4:19 PM

Not all USB-C cables support charging the laptop.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

If you have an Intel Mac, then try an SMC Reset.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If these things don't help, then you may need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop.

Edit: Don't skimp on accessories or peripherals you connect to your expensive computer. Cheap (both cost & quality) no name items tend to be dangerous to both you and your connected hardware. Amazon has tons of cheap poorly made items that should be avoided at all costs. Years ago a Google employee discovered that lots of charging cables purchased from Amazon would damage his Android phone. When he investigated further (he was an electrical engineer IIRC) he found that even some name brand cables did not properly adhere to the standards. It is very easy to destroy a Logic Board on a USB-C Mac by using poor quality items.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 4:19 PM in response to Snookaroo87

Not all USB-C cables support charging the laptop.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

If you have an Intel Mac, then try an SMC Reset.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If these things don't help, then you may need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop.

Edit: Don't skimp on accessories or peripherals you connect to your expensive computer. Cheap (both cost & quality) no name items tend to be dangerous to both you and your connected hardware. Amazon has tons of cheap poorly made items that should be avoided at all costs. Years ago a Google employee discovered that lots of charging cables purchased from Amazon would damage his Android phone. When he investigated further (he was an electrical engineer IIRC) he found that even some name brand cables did not properly adhere to the standards. It is very easy to destroy a Logic Board on a USB-C Mac by using poor quality items.

Jan 15, 2022 7:18 AM in response to HWTech

Yes! I ordered an Apple cable and I'll use my husband's Apple cable in the meantime. The computer fired right up this morning so it sustained the charge overnight. Even though the problem may not be the no name cable, with the research I've found and also the advice on this post, I will only charge with Apple cables from now on.

As far as the battery life goes, I believe it got too cold sitting on my kitchen table both nights and the battery lost life. I think this because I set my laptop on a cloth ottoman to rest overnight last night and it sustained the charge. Perhaps it was that it got too cold in my home?

Macbook Air going dead after charging with generic USB-C cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.