Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook charger cable damage

My MacBook charger cable has had the outer plastic coating damaged in 3 places to the point where the wire was exposed. The wire itself doesn't seem to be damaged and I have wound electrical tape around the damaged areas which seems to work nicely. The battery gets charged except it is now 10 years old and in need of replacement.

Question #!: Will my repair affect the charging process and/or damage the battery. My battery has issues and needs to be replaced so I want to make sure it is ok to use the charger on the new ($500.00 YIKES!!!) battery replacement.

Question #2: There are third party chargers online. Are these safe to use and has anyone purchased one of these? If so what brand?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 6:44 PM

Apple sales replacement cables on their website, and fairly cheap. My new puppy chewed mine and I got it replaced from apple.com for only $19.00.

I would advise checking here: Power & Cables - Mac Accessories - Apple

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 24, 2023 6:41 PM in response to werdup

Please identify your specific model MacBook Pro: Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support

I do not recommend non-Apple MagSafe power adapters. Depending on the model MBP you have you can purchase it directly from Apple, or for a discounted price from a reputable source. The only reputable source I have used and can recommend is OWC / MacSales.

Apple does not charge nearly that much for battery replacement, but again we need to know which model you have.

MacBook charger cable damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.