Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic spelling correction when composing in French in Mac Mail

I am having a tough time composing a letter in French from France. Primary language is Canadian English, but as I am typing I expect that when I write a french word that I know has accents,, to at least be underlined so as I can correct.. Doing it that way seems to be unreliable, as it is hit and miss in recognizing or flagging words that need correcting , where I can right click,, and replace with word with accent. What I would like even better is for me to type (using my Logitech for Mac keyboard bluetooth) and for it to automatically correct or know that I am typing in French. I have gone to Language and Region,, put Preferred language Primary English Canada, and added 2nd preferred language as French France. Keyboard Preferences,, I put Canadian English,, there is no French Qwerty keyboard that I noticed, so I did not add as an Input source.I'm sure ,, in my many years on Mac,, at some point I must have had settings correct,, and somehow,, things have gone astray. Once in a while,, when experimenting to get it right I see the Can Flag on top menu,, with opportunity , I think to change keyboard,, (that is when I tried to add that French Keyboard that wasn't qwerty), ended in disaster. Hoping somebody out there can help. I also in Edit,, I think done the right things I think,, like Check spelling while typing.. Thanks,, I you need more details to help me,, just let me know. Appreciate it.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 3:53 PM

The place where spellcheck is determined is System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Spelling. Best set that to French rather than Automatic. The Input Source and Language settings are not really relevant .

You should certainly have a French qwerty layout available if you want one. It is called Canadian French CSA in located in the French section.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 3:53 PM in response to Stoker

The place where spellcheck is determined is System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Spelling. Best set that to French rather than Automatic. The Input Source and Language settings are not really relevant .

You should certainly have a French qwerty layout available if you want one. It is called Canadian French CSA in located in the French section.

Automatic spelling correction when composing in French in Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.