Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for Mac (Monterey) forgets faces and will not scan all faces

Before upgrading to Monterey I had every face tagged in my 30,000 plus photo library. After upgrading photos seems to have forgotten all the faces and has scanned about 20,000 or I have added faces, but it keeps forgetting my eldest daughters face in recent photos. I have tagged them at least 3 times. It is also such on scanning the last 12,000 photos. Can anyone recommend a solution.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 5:58 AM

Which fixes have you already tried? Have you restarted the Mac and restarted Photos?

Where is your Photos Library stored? If it is on an external volume, is the volume compatible with Photos, as described here? Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Have you already repaired the Photos Library? If not, do it, unless your Photos Library is syncing with iCloud Photos. For an iCloud Photos Library is repairing a very expensive fix, because iCloud will upload the library again into iCloud and merge it into the existing library. This can take a week or more for al library as large as yours.

For an iCloud Photos Library it would be easier

It was quick, and no more hanging on faces to scan.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 5:58 AM in response to Amunro5618

Which fixes have you already tried? Have you restarted the Mac and restarted Photos?

Where is your Photos Library stored? If it is on an external volume, is the volume compatible with Photos, as described here? Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Have you already repaired the Photos Library? If not, do it, unless your Photos Library is syncing with iCloud Photos. For an iCloud Photos Library is repairing a very expensive fix, because iCloud will upload the library again into iCloud and merge it into the existing library. This can take a week or more for al library as large as yours.

For an iCloud Photos Library it would be easier

It was quick, and no more hanging on faces to scan.

Photos for Mac (Monterey) forgets faces and will not scan all faces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.