Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ICloud backup copy got deleted

Hello!

I had a backup copy of my previous phone on ICloud and it got deleted by itself. This makes me more than upset because I had photos and videos from 2017 and now it’s all gone. I think it might have happened because one day the storage was full and ICloud decided that I don’t need my memories anymore or maybe it’s just a mistake..

Is it possible to get my backup copy back? There must be a way, I hope you can help me

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 5:52 PM

polina188 Said:

"ICloud backup copy got deleted: [...]Is it possible to get my backup copy back? There must be a way, I hope you can help me "

-------

Perhaps...

Troubleshooting Lost Photos:

Four Tactics to Try:

A. Start here: If you're Missing Photos or Videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

B. Check iCloud, Directly:

For Photos: Go here, and see if they reside in iCloudhttps://www.icloud.com/photos

C. Restore your iPhone from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone prior to this occurrence? If so, restore your iPhone from one that has these photos (the most recent backup, ideally). If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always back up your device for recovery purposes. Important: Back up you iPhone prior to performing this restoration, should anything go wrong from here on out.

D. Where Else to Check:

1. PC
  2. PDA
  3. eMail
  4. Mac Device
  5. Cloud Storage
  6. Android Phone
  7. USB Flash Drive
  8. External Hard drive
  9. Secure Digital Card
  10. Compact Flash Card
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 5:52 PM in response to polina188

polina188 Said:

"ICloud backup copy got deleted: [...]Is it possible to get my backup copy back? There must be a way, I hope you can help me "

-------

Perhaps...

Troubleshooting Lost Photos:

Four Tactics to Try:

A. Start here: If you're Missing Photos or Videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

B. Check iCloud, Directly:

For Photos: Go here, and see if they reside in iCloudhttps://www.icloud.com/photos

C. Restore your iPhone from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone prior to this occurrence? If so, restore your iPhone from one that has these photos (the most recent backup, ideally). If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always back up your device for recovery purposes. Important: Back up you iPhone prior to performing this restoration, should anything go wrong from here on out.

D. Where Else to Check:

1. PC
  2. PDA
  3. eMail
  4. Mac Device
  5. Cloud Storage
  6. Android Phone
  7. USB Flash Drive
  8. External Hard drive
  9. Secure Digital Card
  10. Compact Flash Card

Jan 16, 2022 5:55 PM in response to polina188

polina188 Said:

"Cloud backup copy got deleted: [...]I had a backup copy of my previous phone on ICloud and it got deleted by itself. This makes me more than upset because I had photos and videos from 2017 and now it’s all gone.[...]"

-------

Learn from this:

Take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your data. You can download it all to an external drive. As a result of doing so, you will have a complete backup of iCloud for data recovery. You'd back it up every so often. Use my User Tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Jan 18, 2022 7:00 PM in response to polina188

polina188 Said:

"I’ve already made a backup copy thinking ICloud should be the safest place to keep it in. The last thing people should be worried about using this cloud storage is that something could happen to their data or that it could be deleted without any notification."

-------

iCloud is a Service:

Keep in mind that iCloud is a service you pay for. So, making a backup copy is what is needed here. If you lost your services of Apple (for whatever reason), then this data on iCloud would be losses and totally inaccessible to you. So, download it. Keeping it on iCloud is wise for temporary items, but not wise for device backups, and item you need for future use, due to this issue of service loss. So, great job on creating the backup!

ICloud backup copy got deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.