Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine email backups

I have an iMac running Monterey. I use Time Machine for backups. If I try to retrieve emails from local email folders nothing shows up in the Time Machine backup. I have read that this is not unusual. You can't retrieve backed up email this way. However, if I had a disk crash and had to restore everything to a new disk from a Time Machine backup, would my local email folders be restored?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 12:44 PM

That will work with the following complication

1. When you first restor you will have loads of old emails. and the restore may duplicate messages
    2. When you do the second restore you may again duplicate messages.
4 replies

Jan 16, 2022 1:45 PM in response to Bob3940

Yes, you can restore mail messages for a Time Machine backup. You can also retrieve individual emails but it is difficult since in Time Machine there is no subject in the file title. You can only find them by date. If you click on one it open. in the Mail app. You did notice that Mail app presentation like was there previously in Time Machine no longer exists.

Jan 18, 2022 11:59 AM in response to lllaass

I have an idea for recovering deleted emails. I have read that emails are stored on my Mac in my user area under Library/Mail. So I should be able to go into Time Machine to some previous date and restore the Library/Mail folder. When I exit Time Machine my old emails should be visible in Mail and I can save the emails I am looking for by either printing them or forwarding them to another machine. I then go back into Time Machine and restore Library/Mail from my latest backup. Do you think this would work? I haven't tried it for fear of messing up my system.

Time Machine email backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.