Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain after iOS15.2.1 update

Is anyone experiencing battery drain since updating to iOS 15.2.1? If so, any tips for what to do about it? I just updated this morning. Thanks!

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 2:26 PM

4 replies

Jan 17, 2022 3:35 AM in response to kishwar2001

General battery advice after update regarding batteries

First all there will be a lot of housekeeping, re-indexing and photo curating going on after any update or after a transfer from another phone.

If you have iCloud photos turned on there will be a lot of Wi-Fi traffic.

There may be apps that are inherently incompatible with the new iOS

Start by removing any VPN or security apps. Apart from being totally unnecessary they are also a strong contender especially after a security patch.

Many mainstream apps need an urgent update, so go to App Store and scan through your apps for those that need updating.

While there, uninstall any apps you haven't used for some time. They are unnecessary update burden. 

Check the battery usage chart in battery settings for any obvious bad apps but not every background process is shown.

Any streaming apps or apps that can run with phone closed, or Clocks that hold the phone unlocked, always force close them afterwards, despite the accepted wisdom not to.

Check Settings, Privacy, Location services and make sure none of them say Always. 

Check battery capacity is above 80% in Battery “health”. 

Reset network settings in Settings, Transfer or reset iphone, Reset.

If you sync by computer then make sure that"show this device when on wifi" is turned off. Or if you need it on, then ensure "automatically sync" is turned off. 

Only after all that do you need to do the simple stuff advised in

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

In extreme cases you can backup and restore to factory settings

Jan 17, 2022 3:49 AM in response to LD150

Thank you very much for very detailed response, it was indeed very helpful.

just to share my experience, while my Apps background fresh was switched off. when checked my battery consumption for the last 24hours it was showing Siri has consumed more than 80% of my battery while I was sleeping. having said this I had switched off the Siri completely from the setting options, day before.

Now I am going with last option you have suggested (backup and restore to factory settings.

Battery drain after iOS15.2.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.