Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off iOS spam filter

The spam filter on iOS constantly catches non-spam email, including from sender in my address book. I have excellent spam protection on my email server. How can I turn the Apple filter off?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 10:36 AM

Don,

There aren’t any further options for adjusting how emails are filtered on iOS or iPadOS devices.

If you continue to experience that behavior with Apple devices, and not with any other devices or email clients, you’d want to reach out to Apple Support: Contact Apple Support They would be in the best position to assist further.

Regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 10:36 AM in response to Don Begley

Don,

There aren’t any further options for adjusting how emails are filtered on iOS or iPadOS devices.

If you continue to experience that behavior with Apple devices, and not with any other devices or email clients, you’d want to reach out to Apple Support: Contact Apple Support They would be in the best position to assist further.

Regards.

Jan 17, 2022 1:50 PM in response to Don Begley

Hello Don,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about your emails being filtered unexpectedly.

The following resource has more details on the options available for filtering emails on iPad: Flag and filter emails on iPad

This article also has details on how to make sure certain contacts haven’t been blocked: Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Additionally, the last section of this resource covers how to correct legitimate emails that are marked as junk: Identify and filter junk mail in iCloud

Should you still continue to experience that behavior you’ll want to reach out to Apple Support so they can look into this further: Contact Apple Support

Take care.

Jan 18, 2022 7:59 AM in response to chuckbl

Thank you, Less.

I’ve tried the “move to inbox” approach in your 3rd link but it’s been unsuccessful. Another approach would probably be to add the sender’s address to my contacts. I resist this one since the majority of the false spam emails are from established newsletters (think Washington Post, NY Times) and that seems overkill for something that should never be flagged, in my estimation.

I appreciate what Apple is trying to do with its spam filter. I’m a long-time Apple user as well. I’m also reasonably capable with computer technology and have my own spam filters on my mail servers that work to my satisfaction. I’d be very happy to disable the Apple filter, especially as it falsely identifies spam, and deal with only one system. Can I do that?

Jan 18, 2022 6:51 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

My email provider has a default folder called “junk” and I control it’s sensitivity through the provider’s cpanel. When I access the imap server through Apple Mail a new folder appears called “spam”. Non-spam mail appears in that folder.

If I stop using Mail, delete the spam folder on the imap server and use a different email app such as Thunderbird or Outlook, the spam folder doesn’t reappear and the email that was previously placed there comes to my inbox.

Something happens when I use Apple Mail.

How to turn off iOS spam filter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.