Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the iCloud storage safe, if the internal hard drive were to be corrupted?

Hello there,

a long time ago, my internal hard drive was corrupted and all my data was deleted. Only afterwards I learned about these practical external hard drives and have been using them for backups ever since.

For a couple of years I‘ve also been using the iCloud storage now, saving my documents and desktop folders there. And here is were the question comes in: If my internal hard drive was to be corrupted once more, but with my documents and desktop folder safely stored and synced on iCloud as well, would the data still be lost? Or, another question, how would formatting the hard drive affect the iCloud data?

Thanks for the help!

Corin

Corins MacBook Pro 15"

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 2:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 3:26 AM

Corin, just remember that iCloud is a syncing service and not a backup. Cloud is saving the current state of the data on your Mac. Whatever happens to your documents and data on your Mac will sync to iCloud. A drive does not necessarily fail instantly, out of the blue. There may be long periods where documents might get damaged by transmission errors or bad disk blocks, while the drive is gradually failing, and the damage might sync to iCloud. You need to have an additional backup that will archive older versions of your documents and data, so you can go back intime to recover older versions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2022 3:26 AM in response to corin-vilanek

Corin, just remember that iCloud is a syncing service and not a backup. Cloud is saving the current state of the data on your Mac. Whatever happens to your documents and data on your Mac will sync to iCloud. A drive does not necessarily fail instantly, out of the blue. There may be long periods where documents might get damaged by transmission errors or bad disk blocks, while the drive is gradually failing, and the damage might sync to iCloud. You need to have an additional backup that will archive older versions of your documents and data, so you can go back intime to recover older versions.

Jan 17, 2022 2:47 AM in response to corin-vilanek

Probably safe. I would always advise you to make external backups via Time Machine to an external SSD (or HDD if > 2TB for cost reasons). Formatting the hard drive will not affect your iCloud data (yes, this is proved due to my experiences with this). Apple is not that short sighted! You will only lose your data if you go and specifically delete your files from Finder, resetting your Mac etc. will not remove the data.

Jan 17, 2022 4:56 AM in response to léonie

Thank you, Léonie! I guess, I‘ll resume doing backups then. 😉

I have one more question though. I actually store more data on my documents and desktop folders than my 512GB drive could handle. So, I remove the downloads whenever I need space or I don’t need the files. I just keep them there as an extra "backup" in iCloud. When I do a Time Machine backup, it does download these files in order to save them though, right?

Is the iCloud storage safe, if the internal hard drive were to be corrupted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.