Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of iPhone and iPad backups

I want to locate the iPhone and iPad backups on my 2021 Mac Air (MacOS 12.0.1) to see how much space they are taking up on my laptop but I can see no 'General' tab in the Finder (as promised in the help screen) and thus cannot find backups stored on my laptop. Could this be because I have backup turned 'on' on my devices?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 12:04 PM

... I can see no 'General' tab in the Finder (as promised in the help screen)

Those instructions are a bit unclear.

First select your iPhone in a Finder Sidebar. You should see a window similar to the following, which unfortunately shows the General tab mostly obscured by the dropdown window that appears after clicking Manage Backups:

The Apple Support document really ought to be amended as follows:

To find a specific backup:

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15 or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Click your device in the Finder Sidebar. In iTunes, click your iPhone device icon.

If the Sidebar is not appearing in your Finder windows, please refer to this excerpt from Customize the Finder toolbars on Mac:

Hide or show the sidebar: Choose View > Hide Sidebar, or View > Show Sidebar, in the menu bar. (If Show Sidebar is dimmed, choose View > Show Toolbar.)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 12:04 PM in response to laoxiao

... I can see no 'General' tab in the Finder (as promised in the help screen)

Those instructions are a bit unclear.

First select your iPhone in a Finder Sidebar. You should see a window similar to the following, which unfortunately shows the General tab mostly obscured by the dropdown window that appears after clicking Manage Backups:

The Apple Support document really ought to be amended as follows:

To find a specific backup:

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15 or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Click your device in the Finder Sidebar. In iTunes, click your iPhone device icon.

If the Sidebar is not appearing in your Finder windows, please refer to this excerpt from Customize the Finder toolbars on Mac:

Hide or show the sidebar: Choose View > Hide Sidebar, or View > Show Sidebar, in the menu bar. (If Show Sidebar is dimmed, choose View > Show Toolbar.)

Jan 23, 2022 10:55 AM in response to laoxiao

If you are not seeing your iPhone in a Finder Sidebar, we need to fix that!

Start here: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support. Click the Sync with Finder option (obviously, but people with older Macs may need to Sync with iTunes instead).

Then, begin with Step 1:

1. Open a Finder window and connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.

That's probably the step at which you're getting stuck. If you need more help, please write back.

Assuming that works for you, continue with the remainder of those instructions: "After you set up syncing with the Finder using USB, you can set up the Finder to sync to your device with Wi-Fi instead of USB."

And then, everything works like magic.

Location of iPhone and iPad backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.