Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes/Music transfer from external hard drive to iMac

I have a backup of my iTunes/Music folder on an external hard drive, and I'm trying to get it back on my iMac hard drive, which has an empty Music folder. I made the backup after iTunes was replaced by Music No matter what I do, I cannot get it to work when I transfer the songs back. I get error 13010 or "cannot save " or "you must choose a library" or "cannot locate" message., etc. etc. Any advice?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 4:35 AM

What version of macOS are you running? The Music app was introduced with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

As a rule if you've backed up the entire Music folder to an external drive then you should be able to copy that back to an internal drive replacing the existing Music folder in your user profile, then press and hold down option as you launch iTunes or Music and use the Choose Library option to select the library at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl (iTunes) or ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary (Music).

Have you captured all the media and library files on the external drive, or just the media? See also Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community in case that can help with the save errors.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 4:35 AM in response to msryan

What version of macOS are you running? The Music app was introduced with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

As a rule if you've backed up the entire Music folder to an external drive then you should be able to copy that back to an internal drive replacing the existing Music folder in your user profile, then press and hold down option as you launch iTunes or Music and use the Choose Library option to select the library at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl (iTunes) or ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary (Music).

Have you captured all the media and library files on the external drive, or just the media? See also Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community in case that can help with the save errors.

tt2

iTunes/Music transfer from external hard drive to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.