Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup and Transfer iTunes Library iTunes - potential library.itl file issue

Monterey 12.5.1 and Music 1.2.5.7; 320gbs of music files

I have backed up my iTunes library regularly and have never had problems transferring the library between my laptops using the method, later supported by @turingtest2 as to "copy the entire ~/Music/Music folder from your old hard drive into ~/Music on the new one, then option-start-Music to select the (iTunes library.itl) library" into which I've copied it

What's odd / not working this time is that

1) the iTunes library.itl file isn't up to date (it lists a March date and it is now the end of August), and

2) the copied library doesn't read the songs added, playlist changes made etc since that March update

and therefore Music isn't reading the most up-to-date transferred library. All the songs (including March - August additions) have been transferred. It's simply that the library isn't reading them.

Any ideas, friends? Thanks!

n.b. that I've consolidated the library, organized it and copied the most recent "music library.musiclibrary" file into the copied library as well - none of which have solved the problem

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 12:37 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 1, 2022 2:19 PM in response to turingtest2

Many thanks - that's exactly the information I need which Apple Support has been unable to provide. I suspect then that when I option-start-Music the library I choose is that new "music library.musiclibrary" file(?). That's what I'll do in any case.

You are a superstar, Señor Turingtest2. I really appreciate your help here, thank you.

Backup and Transfer iTunes Library iTunes - potential library.itl file issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.