Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't listen to music with AirPods because I share my Apple ID

My husband and I share the same apple account which has worked so far - but now we have AirPods and are unable to use at the same time listening our individual phones. Do I need to set up another apple account to fix this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 2:22 PM

Apple advise not to share your Apple ID. You should both use separate Apple IDs, separate devices (except on macOS where there are multiple user accounts), and use their Family Sharing feature instead.

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support (UK)

Family Sharing - Apple

AirPods are designed for use by a single person… You may have luck turning off auto switching however.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 2:22 PM in response to 1229_90

Apple advise not to share your Apple ID. You should both use separate Apple IDs, separate devices (except on macOS where there are multiple user accounts), and use their Family Sharing feature instead.

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support (UK)

Family Sharing - Apple

AirPods are designed for use by a single person… You may have luck turning off auto switching however.

Jan 20, 2022 7:06 AM in response to 1229_90

What did dawn on me this morning is the messages. IMessage. That I believe has history stored in iCloud that I will lose. Much of the history I did not think was stored in the phone but rather in iCloud. I should test that by trying to go to airplane mode and then reviewing old messages scrolling through history. And May do some research in apple support. Argh…

I can't listen to music with AirPods because I share my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.