Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

@ AirPods, 2 iPads, 1 Apple ID not working independently?

My wife and I have an iPad each and AirPods each but only one Apple id. We are having difficulty using the AirPods independently - for example listening to different music (like Apple Music, which we subscribe to, but not the Family Package) at the same time. I keep picking up my wife's music and vice versa.

How do we 'get divorced' and enable us to listen or watch movies independently without each picking up the other's listening/watching selections.

I wondered if having one Apple ID was the cause of the problems, but I am reluctant to get a second ID in case it prevents or restricts access to things like iCloud.

I suspect it may have something to do with settings, perhaps.

Can anyone help please as the frustration is killing us?

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 10:19 AM

An AppleID (and associated account) is intended to be unique to an individual - each having their own unique AppleID.

Sharing an AppleID is a very bad idea. Aside from functionality issues such as that which you describe, you will encounter all manner of security problems - including unintended merging of data, sensitive information, and account credentials. Whilst you may not have any secrets from each other, you are going to encounter no end of unanticipated issues.

You need to separate your Apple identities - each using their own AppleID with their own devices.

After separating your identities, you can continue to selectively share purchased Apple Services, Subscriptions, Apps and Media using Apple’s Family Sharing features.

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 10:19 AM in response to LeVignoble

An AppleID (and associated account) is intended to be unique to an individual - each having their own unique AppleID.

Sharing an AppleID is a very bad idea. Aside from functionality issues such as that which you describe, you will encounter all manner of security problems - including unintended merging of data, sensitive information, and account credentials. Whilst you may not have any secrets from each other, you are going to encounter no end of unanticipated issues.

You need to separate your Apple identities - each using their own AppleID with their own devices.

After separating your identities, you can continue to selectively share purchased Apple Services, Subscriptions, Apps and Media using Apple’s Family Sharing features.

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

Nov 6, 2021 8:47 AM in response to LeVignoble

Any photos associated with the original AppleID won’t be immediately available to the new AppleID account. You essentially have two options…

1) “share” the photos between accounts:

How to share albums in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac - Apple Support

2) AirDrop photos from the iPad with the original AppleID - to the iPad with the new AppleID (effectively creating another copy):

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Returning to your initial issues, having now separated your identities, you each have your own Keychain in iCloud - in which you can securely store your respective account passwords - with no no risk of merging or altering each-others data. Device functionality associated by device/user (such as your AirPods) will now function as intentended.

Nov 6, 2021 10:35 AM in response to LeVignoble

Any files stored in iCloud are only accessible to the owner of the AppleID account - but the owner of the account can selectively “share” files or folders (containing many files) with other users:

Share files and folders in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com – Apple Support

As with photos, unless files are explicitly shared with other people, files are only accessible by the owner of the AppleID account within which the files are stored. This is a cornerstone of basic system and file security.

Nov 6, 2021 8:36 AM in response to LotusPilot

I now understand the importance of having individual Apple accounts - many thanks for your valuable advice. Much to my surprise, I managed to create another Apple id and successfully separated it from our previously 'joint' account. I am also very happy to say that this has resulted in our respective AirPods working independently, as they should - just as you predicted. We have also successfully setup Family sharing - so what a day this has been - big smiles all round.

Just one follow-up question, if I may. With family sharing, my wife is 'Organiser'. I no longer have access to my files or photos in iCloud but do have access to the storage package. Is there any way I can gain access to the files/photos in iCloud by restoring them somehow?

Thank you again for all your very valuable help and advice.

@ AirPods, 2 iPads, 1 Apple ID not working independently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.